Last Chance to get Candy Cots

This might be the last chance to get some candy cots. If anyone is in the area and can get some seeds I would be happy to pay for them.

6 Likes

Seeds? They won’t grow into a ‘Candycot’ tree which you may already know. It’s a crapshoot what they may grow into regarding fruit quality.

Regardless, apricots make excellent rootstocks for many other stone fruit, so it’d hardly be a waste.

1 Like

I don’t mind taking that gamble since as far as I know scions aren’t available. I think the genetics are worth preserving, even if it is just from the seeds.

3 Likes

I’ve planted fruit seeds many times, if I don’t like what I get I graft something else on.

2 Likes

If an apricot (or peach?) self-pollinates (we obviously have no idea what did in this case) isn’t the offspring usually fairly similar? Or is it still all over the place?

1 Like

The apricots in the picture look very much like the Anya variety of Candycot. You can purchase two varieties of Candycots from Andy’s Orchard and they will ship them to you (I have done this, and they were excellent).
Anya is one of the varieties.

Most relevant to this post, is the fact that members of this forum have grown Candycot seedlings. You may find this this post especially interesting:

https://growingfruit.org/t/scions-for-sale-anya-seedling-apricots-and-others/32617

While it is true that seedlings are not exact copies of the parent tree, they can be surprisingly close. Especially in the case of the Anya seedlings.

I purchased some Tatiana scions from @Stan and I can’t tell them apart from the Anya apricots I got from Andy’s Orchard - except that I can pick them at peak ripeness from my tree - so they are much better in that regard.

I also have two Anya seedlings that I planted before @Stan announced that he was selling scions.

Anyway, tree ripened apricots pushing 30 brix are a real treat!

Here is a post on this year’s fruit set on my Tatiana grafts:

6 Likes

Just my experience, pits from older “stable” types of peaches and apricots have been very similar. The newest/latest cultivars of them have given me the most variable, lots of crappy reversions I graft over.