Late blooming apricots?

I know apricots are not suited to my area at all, and at best I might only get a few every 5 years or so. SO I’ll get that right out of the way. But I have lots of space and time and want to give them a shot. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and have seen several articles touting different varieties as being late® blooming and therefore a little more likely to produce in areas like mine which often have late frosts. I also read a lot of old threads over at the old gardenweb site with posts from several of the experts who are now here and who I trust very much (scott, olpea, Hman, others). Their consensus at the time of those posts was that none of the varieties are really much different regarding bloom times, except maybe by a week or so with 2-3 varieties. But those posts were all a few years old. SO I thought I’d ask here again…
Are there any new varieties that really are somewhat later blooming OR are more frost tolerant and therefore might be at least marginally better suited to my mid-south (TN/\KY line) area. Again, I get that its probably a waste of time…but I’m going to try a few so I’d at least like the best chance possible. Some of the ones I’ve seen claims about are Jerseycot, Chinese, all the Harrow, Ontario developed varieties, tisdale, bryan, Hunza, and tomcot (not early but said to bloom over a longer period of time, thereby increasing chances that at least the last blooms will make it).

If you guys know anything about these or other, newer discoveries, I’d love to hear about them and I’m sure I’m not the only one here who might want to tempt fate and try apricots and want the best chance they can get. Thanks all.

1 Like

City,

Read through this post. It’s all there!

1 Like

Thanks so much Matt. Just so you know, I do usually try to see if a question has been answered in a prior thread before I post and I actually did a couple searches but didn’t see the thread you just provided. It does look perfect, so I’ll go read it in more detail now. Thanks!

1 Like

TheCityMan,
You might check with Bob Purvis when it comes to apricots there is no one I know better.see this link for contact information Bob Purvis Scions

I’ve been wondering about the same question. My thinking is to plant a good apricot and be prepared to take it on the chin in some years. I’m not a commercial grower so if a few trees don’t produce fruit on a given year it’s not going to kill me. I’ll just appreciate the fruit even more on those years that I get lucky and don’t suffer frost kill.

2 Likes

Bob Purvis recommends Agro-K KDL for frost protection. You have to contact the company to buy it.

Something to be more concerned about is sudden apricot death syndrome, if you live in the northeast. Sometimes they die for no apparent reason after coming out of dormancy. Sometimes they never emerge from dormancy.

I’m so glad you said that, Dave, since it perfectly captures my own thoughts on the matter. Well, that is except for the fact that I expect to “take it on the chin” MOST years instead of just SOME years! I know a lot of people, even here, are strongly opposed to such long shots or “zone pushing” or planting anything that is so unlikely to succeed. I’ve had some of the most critical comments I’ve gottene on threads where I proposed trying such “unlikely” trees or plants. And I get that…I really do. Especially if I was working with a limited space or budget. But I’ve got acres of unused space, this is my only “indulgence”/hobby and compared to buying boats, ATV’s, cabins, etc., the cost of a few trees that may never produce and the extra spray and fertilize and maintenance time it takes to care for 3 more trees just doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. I’ve also planted a few sweet cherry trees, with the full understanding that I am unlikely to ever get much fruit. But I enjoy growing these long-shots anyway. And if they ever were to produce even a small crop, they would be the SWEETEST fruit of all, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

City,

Go for it. Get some cots. You’ve got nothing to lose. Pull the trigger. Make an “executive decision!”

1 Like

I would like to try a Hoyt Montrose, but the only place I can find one available is One Green World. Theirs are on Lovell Peach rootstock, which would not be hardy enough for me. Does anyone know where else a Hoyt Montrose is for sale?

You could always try Bob Purvis. I’d be surprised if he didn’t know where to get one or have it himself.

Bay Laurel sells Montrose on Myro, https://baylaurelnursery.com/apricots/montrose-apricot-standard-detail.html
Search for “Montrose” without “Hoyt”, you’ll find more sellers.

Some years Arboreum sells Hoyt on Citation. But apricots don’t seem to do well on Citation outside of the arid Southwest.

2 Likes

So is Montrose the same as Hoyt Montrose?

By comparing the description/history of “Montrose”, http://www.lecooke.com/le-cooke-blog/Montrose-Apricot-History.html, and that of “Hoyt Montrose”, http://www.arboreumco.com/store/products/hoyt-montrose, I would say they are one and the same.

My understanding is that many of the apricots that survived in Montrose Colorado (mother trees, baby seedlings that survived) all became known as Montrose.

Hoyt is one specific strain selected from that pool.

1 Like