Latest feral apple find, "Mama Duck"

If you only eat candy every day, beans or greens can taste bad. But, eventually, the candy is going to taste ‘normal’ and not special.

So it is if one never eats a bland apple having no acid and little sugar. You appreciate the Honeycrisp or Evercrisp or Gala after eating some ‘ordinary’ apples.

3 Likes

Love this story! Thanks for sharing. Neat find.

1 Like

Was out collecting scions of my favorite wild type and feral trees this week and made it back to this tree. Was able to collect some good looking scion and will be grafting it into my orchard for further evaluation this spring.

I grabbed a few extra, so if you have inquired about getting a stick of it shoot me a message so we can work out a trade, or if it’s more convenient for you I put a few on my website. Please keep in mind I do not know a lot about this tree, and it is completely experimental at this stage. Should be left to the hardcore apple heads until we know more. Graft at your own risk!

8 Likes

Im in the upper hudson valley of NY, and also enjoy hunting for wild apples along roadsides. I havent found a winner in the dessert category yet, but have made a few good batches of hard cider with their help.

2 Likes