Lavina Plum

Those look correct I agree. Mine looks just like them. Color varies with ripeness.

1 Like

Looks the same as mine.

5 Likes

Yes color varies greatly on Lavina. Sometimes they are almost all yellow but are ripe, and they need to get really red to be ripe other times.

I didn’t get many this year but as always they were excellent. I added a new tree with lots of space so should eventually be getting lots of them.

I hope mine is correct, I supply Fedco :laughing:

Jesse,
Where did you got yours from? I think yours is correct.

Also, I’ve noticed that Lavina has white flowers with pinkish shade compared to other plum flowers. Hard to explain until you compare its flowers to other J plum varieties. I used to take the pics but don’t know where the pics are now.

Cool, I got one from Fedco this year also, along with Monitor and Hanska. Planted them on my other property. Sprayed them with Plantskyyd about once a month but it wasn’t often enough. Deer hit them hard twice, almost bare. Finally got them caged midsummer then we got some decent rain, so they might make it. Fingers crossed.

Does Lavina plum needs cross pollinating?

Do you know if Lavina and Satsuma cross pollinate with each other? I planted both varieties this year, and I hope I don’t have to graft another pollinator (Shiro?).

Lavina needs pollination from another Japanese or p cerisifera type

3 Likes

Yes, they are good companions.

1 Like

I think mine is from Cummins via scion from @BobVance

1 Like

Yes, I got mine from Cummins in 2014. I think it may have died this summer. It started wilting badly and dropped it’s leaves when the fruit was almost ripe. Normally it wasn’t affected by black knot, but has started to get it more over the last year or two.

I ate my first one a couple of days ago. It wasn’t fully ripe but I was going out of town and felt it would have fallen or got picked by an animal. It was still a bit crunchy but sweet and very flavorful. It would have been outstanding had I waited. It had a great apricot mango flavor. Mine blossomed very early, Feb 17 but survived frosts that took out all my other plums except Black Ice. I highly recommend this one.

1 Like

So do I.

2 Likes