Leona Pear

Brady,
That’s pretty informative. In that taste test Leona did not get good reviews. It may be lucky I just had enough scion for one tree.

" The Bell House - Growing Fruit Trees in Northwest Houston

Pear Tasting 2012

9/2/2012

0 Comments

Picture

Gulf Coast Fruit Study Group Pear Tasting 2012

Last Thursday was the annual Gulf Coast Fruit Study Group pear tasting event, and their 25th anniversary celebration. It is because of the dedicated efforts of the GCFSG that we have as much knowledge about growing fruit here as we do, and I have also met many wonderful and knowledgeable friends through the GCFSG. The selfless and wonderful Yvonne Gibbs received some well deserved recognition for her 25 years of service, Dr. Natelson gave a talk about his trip to Saskatoon, Canada for the North American Fruit Explorers annual meeting, and Dr. Hu (sp?) gave a brief presentation about the rare Silver Hill Round jujube.

Unfortunately, the pears ripened very early this year, and by the time of the tasting event, most were over-ripe and not at their best. I took notes as I tasted all the pears (see below), and tried to make sure that I tasted at least two different fruits of each variety. My favorite this year was Rising Star. Even though there weren’t as many pears or as many varieties of pears as last year, I still had a great time. I’ve never been to a meeting where I didn’t learn something valuable. I truly appreciate the generosity of Dr. Natelson, Yvonne Gibbs, George McAffee, and anyone else who donated pears, time, and effort to make the event possible.

Picture

Yvonne and Joe with ‘Pear #3’ Picture

Yvonne was presented with a plaque in recognition of her 25 years of dedication and service to the Gulf Coast Fruit Study Group. Picture

25th Anniversary Cake

My notes from the tasting are given below. Bear in mind that the pears ripened early this year, and the fruit available at the tasting was not of peak quality.

Picture

Southern King
Juicy, sweet, soft to slightly firm with kind of a creamy texture, few to no grit cells, good flavor.

Picture

Southern Queen
Hard and crisp, but with good flavor, juicy, a little bit watery, flavor was slightly tangy but not very intense.

Picture

Southern Bartlett
Slightly crisp, sweet, mild flavor, a little watery, juicy.

Picture

Meadows
Mushy texture, juicy and sweet, with a flavor that reminded me of a Red Delicious apple.

Picture

Tennhosui
Crisp, very juicy, watery, slightly sweet, not much flavor, can definitely taste its Hosui Asian pear heritage.

Picture

Acres Home
Good texture, slightly gritty, firm without being crisp or mealy, sweet, mild flavor, skin is a little tough.

Picture

Rising Star
Wonderful! Melting texture, juicy and sweet with a wine-like flavor, nice and intense. My favorite pear at this year’s tasting.

Picture

Leona
Texture is crisp and gritty, tough, not very juicy or sweet, mild sour-apple like flavor.

Picture

Seymour
Slightly rubbery texture, but still crisp, only slightly gritty, sweet with just a tiny bit of tartness.

Picture

Vermillion
Texture was slightly rubbery to slightly crisp, sweet, not very juicy, very mild flavor.

Picture

Kieffer
Slightly crisp, sweet, not particularly juicy and not very flavorful.

Picture

Ed Hardy
Good flavor, sweet, not very juicy, slightly mealy texture with just a little grit, I like this one.

Carrick
Poor texture, not much flavor and not very juicy, probably not a good specimen.

Tennessee
Very crisp, a little hard, skin has slightly astringent taste, juicy and sweet, good flavor.

Garber
Great melting texture, unique mild flavor, really good, juicy and sweet, little to no grit.

Brazoria
Slightly mealy texture, sweet, not juicy, not very flavorful.