Let's talk about growing grapes

Leaves are not coming out and just the tip of emerging green on bud sites

2 Likes

You can hold grapes before planting for a few weeks at the right temp if need be. I know that from needing to put 1200 replants in the ground (2 person team…).

2 Likes

so, a few weeks ago my grape was leafing out.
then a cold snap killed the leaves.
does this mean i’ve lost the harvest?

You should still get a harvest, just a reduced one. The frost killed shoots from primary buds (which are the most fruitful), but assuming the vines are healthy they’ll have the potential to force shoots out of the secondary or tertiary buds.

4 Likes

thank you, dc.

Canadice, just before I put her in the ground.

3 Likes

So… Seems about all I can grow here is Muscadines. I have a few St. Theresa that are doing well so I got some more. Also planted some Cowart, Nesbitt, Scarlett and Thomcord. I took the time to do Trellis. Just a single wire. ReAding up everything says single wire is the way to go with Muscadines. Anyone with experience good or bad your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Canadice is starting to grow out.

2 Likes

I decided to try grapes this year. I received a couple Somerset vines bare root and planted them on the 10th. No signs of life yet. I received a couple Thomcords in 4" pots last week that looked similar to your Canadice in size with a few leaves on each. Planted them and they have both added another leaf or two. Supposed to receive a Reliance in a 4" pot in July.

2 Likes

I just started with grapes too. I’m in North Florida and only a few varieties will live with the heat and humidity and soil. I just got 4 Thomcords. I also did 5 St Theresa. Some Muscadines, Nesbitt, Cowart and Fry. A few I have from last year are doing well and my new ones are all getting a few leaves. Here’s the trellis I did for them

oops. Seems I posted here before. Anyway. Rerun…LOL…

2 Likes

my 1st year trying grapes. i put in a king of the north and a marquette. some for fresh eating. some for juice. may try some wine with marquette. how much grapes does one except from a mature grape vine?

I have seen recommendations of 8 horizontal feet of scaffold vine supporting 1 vertical vine every 4 inches. They were thinning bunches to 1-2 per vertical vine. I don’t know if this holds true for all grapes, but it seems like quite a lot from a fully mature vine. I suppose the weight of the bunches could vary quite a bit, and a lot can go wrong to reduce your quality/yield.

1 Like

the king of the north is very vigorous and marquette is moderately vigorous. considering marquette is the most grown commercial northern hardy grape, it must be a pretty good producer. king has very good reviews also and is cold hardy to z3 so should be bullet proof here. putting up my trellis soon.

1 Like

2nd year here with Frontenac Gris, it will fruit this year. I’m not big on wine so I honestly don’t know why I chose this grape. :joy::woman_shrugging:

Just put in Reliance and Somerset seedless. They are just starting to leaf out. Reliance will grow on a chain link fence and ontop of chicken coop, Somerset I will be building a trellis this week! Not sure exactly how it will look yet but I have some ten foot 4x4’s ready for the job. Debating whether to concrete them in or not.

was thinking of getting 2 4’ x 8’ cattle panels from TSC to use as a trellises and tie them to 4 cedar posts. if painted with rustoleum paint 1st. they should last a long time. id think they would be more sturdy than single wire?

On commercial spacing some average numbers for a good productive vine would be say 10 pounds a vine for vinifera and anywhere from 20-30 pounds a vine for hybrid/native. If spacing isn’t a concern I’ve heard of Concord vines with three times that amount.

5 Likes

I started 3 grape vines last year. This season would be my first harvest on the most vigorous variety - Golden Muscat. I noticed a white fuzz on the small berries and wondering if this is powdery mildew

I don’t see much on the leaves except for a tiny spot this one

What is the recommended spray/treatment for this? I read sulphur several times during and after bud break.

I ordered a couple of grape varieties to plant this year. Not a lot of grapes do well here because it doesn’t get hot enough in the summer to make them sweet. I wanted seedless table grapes, but I’m actually more concerned with having leaves appropriate for stuffing than fruit. So I ordered Venus and Jupiter because they have solid leaves without lobes, and they are supposed to do OK in the cooler coastal climate here.

Venus has already arrived. I’m waiting for Jupiter to get here so I can plant them at the same time.

1 Like

That could just be yeast on those grapes. Powdery mildew is really easy to control with mineral oil, which is also safer than sulphur… some grapes don’t like a lot of sulphur. Anyway you could spray now to be safe or wait a bit and see how it evolves.

2 Likes

Does anyone know any good fertilizer recommendations for grapes? I found these two publications:

I have some I just planted and the soil basically has little nutrient value. I think I should apply some N, but don’t know how much with the new vines.