Living with the cottontail and growing fruit

Around here airguns above a certain muzzle velocity are classed as firearms making them illegal

My dad and I love the 22 magnums. We use the hyper velocity cartridges. For me, a good quality trigger is the most important thing for long range shooting. I use the AR Gold Trigger in my 6.8 SPC. The rounds can be reloaded fairly cheaply since it requires minimal powder and light-weight bullets. The accuracy is unbelievable and the gun can be used for deer, hogs, etc. The XLR kill light allows shooting up to 250 yards at night—this is an exaggeration IMO, I would say 150.

Edit: I have the older model trigger, which I’ve tuned down to probably less than a pound. I don’t have a device to actually measure the pull.

Ive reloaded some 223 cartridges using 40gr ballistic tip bullets and blue dot powder, reduced charges and they are super quiet and virtually no recoil, great out to about 200 yards also… Gotta be careful tho, too much of a fast burning powder like that will wreck your gun, and possibly your face as well!

.223 is too expensive to use on bunnies n rattlers. 22lr is plenty for them.
a rifle didn’t work for me. i was constantly running in the house to get the rifle.
handguns i have with me, at least during snake season.

i put a red dot on this n then shot 10,000 rounds of practice.
i never miss anymore.

Hunting for wabbits was pretty good today with a little soft snow cover and finally some settled weather. The bunnies are so much easier for my old eyes to see when they hide on a white background.

As a kid in northern Illinois I tracked rabbits thru the snow to their daytime hiding spot. They usually hid in a clump of grasses about the color of their coat. They could see out which allowed a bb shot to the head. Actually can’t remember missing but I won’t do that now for fear of injuring one that ran off. They were easy to dress out and good eating compared to most wild game.

As a kid, I wanted a pet rabbit, so followed some rabbit tracks through the snow in a cornfield until they disappeared into a hole by a cornstalk. I sat there patiently holding an open gunny sack ready to catch one if any emerged. Finally one popped out and surprised me so much that I missed catching it. At the lunch table I told my farmer dad and many siblings about my attempt. " You have to put salt on its tail," my dad, who seldom joked, told me. So after lunch I took the salt shaker along with me and squatted there again, but no rabbit appeared that time, so I never got a pet rabbit.