Living with the cottontail and growing fruit

@murky

The guilty parties are laying over there snoring right now. They hate voles and apparently one or more tried to move in and was vacated.

1 Like

I recently started trapping and already removed 6. It appears pressure significantly reduced already,

4 Likes

@HunterHomestead

Sounds like your doink ok. In Kansas as you clear out 5 another 5 move in from nearby property. They keep coming in the winter. This was a few hours later @murky . The rabbits are everywhere looking for food all night.

These are autumn olive and apples tonight. It is a black night. My dogs just patrolled the area. In the photo you can see their tracks.

1 Like

@murky

Everything went as expected this morning

2 Likes

@murky

This afternoon things are beginning to melt slowly before the next cold front hits. Good thing i left them plenty of cut branches to eat. There is not a rabbit in sight today but they will be back after dark again.

2 Likes

I am in a somewhat rural subdivision near a downtown metro. So, I don’t get the pressure you do. Plus, me and a few other neighbors are all trapping (rabbits are living under low decks). That said, they have done their damage to my trees already (lost 60%). Hoping to keep them at bay until my mesh goes up.

3 Likes

@HunterHomestead

The fish in my pond keep me in meat. Maybe the next person after me will love rabbit.

1 Like

We had a day without snow cover in about a week. There were a few spots of snow left when e got the new snow yesterday. The rabbits are searching for food and fruit trees are on the top of their favorites. They love apple trees bark more than anything else.

Making sure we are running the rabbits out of the orchard.

2 Likes

Rabbits are relentless this time of year. The snows are falling now. Just sent the dogs out at 1:30 am to scout the orchard.

2 Likes

Very active year for rabbits. More ice and snow. There’s not much i can do to check the older trees in the lower orchard at the moment. Have seen rabbits attack full-grown trees in this type of weatber.

1 Like

I saw my seeding cherry trees have partial bark missing,

2 Likes

@IL847

They were very agressive this winter due to snow being down.

1 Like

They not only chewed the bark, but also ate hosta shoots. I found I getting less and less hostas. I thought was mine neglect at beginning, but I have found later it was the rabbits ate the young shoots.

2 Likes

@IL847

Annie,

I’m sorry to hear that. In some places they have to fence off everything they are so bad.

2 Likes

Anyone else seeing a huge number of rabbits this year? The rabbits numbers are way up here in Kansas.

1 Like

Seems like more rabbits this year to me. The dog has killed three in the backyard so far. She never caught any before this year…

3 Likes

Sometimes they can get through a fence and other times they don’t. This rabbit was dead when i found it and that is no way to die. They eat leftovers from my garden or orchard as babies and one day they learn they ate just a little to much clover and are no longer babies. Unfortunately 100 degree days are not the day you want stuck in a fence. He likely went in and out of that fence 1000x. His rear end today was no longer 2 inches. These rabbits dont harm anything in the summer. Tried to get the body out but was unable to without cutting the fence. Will try again in the morning.

1 Like

Expecting mothers like this one are filling up on autumn olive shoots. There is more than plenty of those low hanging branches to go around. We always let the expecting mothers like this one go their own way. She is not my enemy at the moment. She will repopulate the rabbits soon and the cyle will repeat itself. She is nesting nearby no doubt and by spring she will have several babies.

4 Likes

A good rabbit is a dead rabbit, if they are within half a mile of the trees I want to protect. Saw some paw prints in my BY again yesterday, put out poison smeared with a little peanutbutter for the little bastard. I wasnt paying attention last winter and between them and voles, they just about killed my best apple trees.

2 Likes

The rabbits are fattenting on low hanging pear branches during the snows. These are branches i prune off anyway. The rabbits dont know they are working for me.

3 Likes