Looking for a grafting knife

Sent my payment for a knife+tape
Thank you

Out of supplies. Don’t send me any money. Ad is from last year.

I’m going to buy either Opinel pocket knife or Victorinox model v 9050 grafting knife. Links to both below. I like that Victorinox has a straight blade. Any comments as to which one would be better? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Carbon-Steel-Folding-knife/dp/B000UGYWQM/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9TCH7EXRX627MNRYV7PZ

@Susu, which one are you leaning towards? i was looking at getting a knife myself.

I’m leaning towards Victorinox. I found this model on amazon and after reading through few reviews it looks like it could work. Says to have single bevel blade.
Take a look:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-52860-Floral-Pastel-3-9050-47/dp/B00GGT28G8

I have two Opinel and a Victorinox. I like Vic far more than Opinel. The big different for me is the weight. Opinel is too light. I don’t feel I could make a strong cut with it. Vic has some weight to it. That helps a lot when making a swift, decisive cut.

It is hard to explain but it is how I feel. I barely use Opinel these past 2 years. I only use Vic. I am thinking about buying another Vic but my personal banker said I do not need four grafting knives.

2 Likes

Victorinox it is! Don’t you just hate it when personal bankers question whether you need a fourth grafting knife or a third peach tree??:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have two Opinel #6’s, one is older without a blade lock. I much prefer the blade lock. Grafting with the Opinel leaves a slighly concave cut, probably due to it’s double bevel. I also have a cheap grafting knife that is a single bevel, but I discovered it’s bevel is backward based on the blade construction. For Xmas I asked for and received a Tina T605 (right hand). Haven’t used it yet but looking forward to trying it soon (Dax had recommended it).

I also have an Opinel #8 I use as a general gardening knife that I really like. The Opinels are relatively easy to sharpen.

Couple of years ago I went to a local grafting workshop and the instructor was a gentleman from Cummins nursery in NY. He used a Tina grafting knife that I got to borrow for few minutes, I was terrified of it :smiley: I was sure I’d come home with 9 fingers. But I’m sure you’ll like yours :smiley:
I just placed an order for Victorinox knife. Delivery Wednesday, can’t wait!

1 Like

has anyone heard or the brand clauss. i recently found a knife in one of my tackle boxes that is a clauss pk3. it is beveled on one side so im guessing it is a grafting knife?

For grafting purpose victorinox is the superior knife. The Opinel is ok as an allround knife. The opinel doesn’t keep the sharpness as good as the victorinox does. I like both but for grafting I prefer the victorinox. I have some larger size opinels which I use if the victorinox is too small for the cuts to do (e.g. cleft into larger limbs etc).

Everyone has opinions, and a certain part of it is what you’re just comfortable holding. My favorite is a heavy folding box cutter that I own, but a close second of mine is a Victor Knox three blade that I have… I have to opinels That are actually probably my least favorite knives for grafting because they feel so light in my hand and I just don’t like that… Other people absolutely swear by them. So you can collect opinions and there’s nothing wrong with that, but at the end of the day remember that they’re going to be opinions

It’s pretty easy to track down something like this in variety stores. Rob, here it is called a pruning knife…not sure why, typically it’s called a floral knife. Google that and you’ll see.
These seem a little too light and small for me. I don’t have large hands but I like a handle with some girth and grip, regardless of the blade size. I often use Opinels (#7 and #8; #6 is too small and light) and rough up the handles.

1 Like

I have a Victorinox and two Opinels, a #7 and a #8. Opinel makes many sizes, and the blades are quite thin…so much so that I easily sharpen mine to a single bevel. What I like about the Victorinox is the style of the point on the blade; that can come in handy.