Looking for plum scions

I live in Wisconsin zone 5b and have a going on 4 years old(but the actual tree could be at least 6 years??) in ground methley plum. It has grown quite well from a stick to well over 10’ x 5’ in those year and yet every year I waited for it to bloom, but nope…only leaves come out. The buds aren’t getting burnt from frost either, since those 4 years it has grown, it has been rather mild. but yeah, no blooms, only leaves year after year. So, although I haven’t grafted before, I like to attempt to graft some new varieties to that tree this spring in the hopes i might get fruits the following year(assuming the grafts take haha)

in short, i’m looking for scions of Black ice, Superior, Waneta, alderman and toka. If anyone has those varieties and is willing to sell, please let me know.

Thanks!

If you look at the scionwood sources page here there are a few sources of plums on there: Bob Purvis and Fedco come to mind and there are a few more. Here is the page:

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I just signed up today and posted right away without looking through the site first. Guess I could have seen the scion link source have I looked around this forum first. But thanks again for the link Scott.

I can help you with those.

1 Like

Richard Fahey at SInging Tree has those varieties. He is on the scionwood sources list.

1 Like

@JesseS, sent pm

Where are you at? I only ask because I have a methley about 2/3 that size and it has set light blossoms the last couple years over in Madison, unfortunately the Frost has not been kind to it but there were definite flowers

@sthao if you stay around awhile here you will get access to the PM system. We don’t want people just showing up here to trade. Its not very long something like a couple hours.

Im in Milwaukee…at least yours has bloomed…mine has just been leaves and more branches for all those years
:frowning:

@scottfsmith i see and that’s understandable

Fruit trees are full of mystery. I’ve planted Methelys at sites where they’ve taken a very long time to come into fruiting maturity. Usually they are very precocious and there is no way I can tell if there is some weird genetic thing going on (different clones) or if it is environmental, but the odds overwhelmingly favor it is environmental. The problem with this theory is that one would expect the differences would be substantial and obvious, but this isn’t the case.

I realize this observation is of absolutely no use, but I will say that the trees did eventually start to bear. Meanwhile, try grafting other varieties on the tree. If the tree isn’t fruiting the grafts will grow especially fast.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight. And agreed, nature sure is mysterious.

I’ll try grafting those varieties, but at the same time still leave some methely limbs in tact, in the case they decide to fruit in the near future.

1 Like