Lowest temps for apples on the tree?

19 deg. Is colder that I would have thought,?
Sometimes freeze injury could take a while to show itself.
So I would be curious to have a update in a few days.
I usually consider ~ 26 deg. F to be where damage is likely .
Gold rush is about the last to be picked here, and I try to pick before 26deg.F.
I have found it amazing that they have froze to the point you could not bite into them, yet were “ok” when thawed .

1 Like

Black Oxford just fine at 24 a few nights ago, cold likely most of night. I’d picked the tree (knowing it could get colder) but left smalls. Birds are leaving them alone this year so I’ll let them go and see how thy do colder. They’re good right now. Sue

4 Likes

20 degrees and other low 20’s and the small Black Oxfords on the tree were still good. Picked a small bag of them to see how they store. Found a missed Dudley on the tree and one on the ground and to my surprise they were good. Not as crisp as when at their peak but good eating and really better than the older stored ones (the last picked ones are still good).

Temps were supposed to be in the upper teens a few nights ago so I figured I’d get a chance to see how the Black Oxfords would do at lower temps. But yesterday morning we woke up to 3 degrees! Not quite upper teens as forecast. But I can definitely say the apples did not handle single digits well, but one could probably have made sauce if one had needed to. I left the rest for the birds. Sue

5 Likes

I think that’s how they do ice wine/cider too. I watched a special on it once, quite interesting.

1 Like

I know this is a little off topic, but sort of in the same ballpark.

This isn’t the video I saw before, but it has a lot of info about the whole process.

This video is the same company but a little later, it appears they have changed the method and press the apples thawed in this video.

1 Like