Major accomplishments as an orchardist

all these big trees and harvests. I’m still so new and dumb that my first graft that took is a big deal to me. I had my third take this year, also a big deal to me

8 Likes

@resonanteye

Every graft take is a big deal its not just you it’s a huge accomplishment. Now that you got your orchard skills to that level now your unstoppable. You can add 100 trees a year now if you want and instead of paying $50 a tree now you buy a $1 - $4 rootstock and graft it for free. That gives you a very valuable skill and you now have it the rest of your life. You can dig up callery rootstock for free if you want. Imagine unlimited fruit trees for $0.

9 Likes

Learning how to stimulate wild yeast to epigeneticly up regulate gibberellins during pollination to inbred upregulated gibberellin activities into heirloom varietals via self pollination & selection during inbreeding.
Have achieved up to 300% increase in size & 800% increase in aromatic terpenoids.
About to do this in Asimina triloba & interspecific hybrids of Asimina triloba & other Annonaceae.
Left is 4th generation offspring of heirloom on right.

After picking fruit.

5 Likes

Far out man! Epigenetics… How the parent environment affects generations to come…

2 Likes

my 5 yr. aronia are 10ft tall and 8ft wide even after last winters snow pruned many of the lower branches. ive never fertilized them. only mulched. they are probably the most productive 0 maintenance fruit i have. rooted some cuttings that i plan to put a few more out this fall. Another no spray bush fruit that wasnt fazed at -40f.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen callery growing here. @ZinHead those look amazing

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

10" wide & 18" long, was 9.7 pounds.
Ripe to the skin, firm, aromatic enough to wake the dead, sweet as honey, as if had high levels of glycosides.

2 Likes

Here’s my a cherry that wasn’t eaten yet, well I know it will somehow be tomorrow but I’ve added extra reinforcement to the net to keep all animals out

1 Like

Forgot to add the yellow cherry behind the red one was already eaten, this picture is from 2 days ago

1 Like

Clark, it looks like you have been doing a lot of mowing. Very nice. My orchard grass needs mowing. It gets me full of wood ticks when I walk through it. I have to dress in white and tuck pants in socks, which isn’t great once it gets hot. Sounds like eighties coming next week or maybe even a ninety or two. I just grafted a pear and seven varieties of apples onto several eight-year old trees yesterday and the day before. Hope they don’t cook to death.

4 Likes

@northwoodswis4

Yes that temperature is the risk and it’s been that risk all year with grafting here. That’s just my front yard orchard so if it’s not mowed that would be like you not mowing your front yard. The main blackberry orchard I’ve not even been there this year yet. Me not mowing the blackberry orchard is unusual my mom loves it and I try to keep it nice for her but have not been up to it yet. That’s not like me at all I’m going to need God to give me a hand with my needs there. Have faith in what you do noone will ever get it all done but I’m sure your doing what you can. If ticks get real bad there is a sevin lawn granules with a 3 month killing residual you can apply to kill them. It’s still very expensive and I don’t like the chemicals.

2 Likes

Clark…looks wonderful

i’m stuck in the suburbs with .125 acre (that’s an eighth) including the house and garage.

Eventually when I retire I’ll move up where the in-laws live and have enough land to keep myself happy. Now I’m just content seeing what people like you have accompllished.

Scott

My biggest accomplishments are my zone denial and grafting as well…

2 Likes

It’s an amazing moment when your first graft takes. I was so excited! It’s an important event.
John S
PDX OR

5 Likes

That’s some amazing stuff. Sometimes I read about stuff like that that is above my current skills, but I read up on it and eventually get good at it, like permaculture, mushroom cultivation, biodynamics, or compost tea. Thanks for showing us.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

@Chills

Scott,

I’m just having fun with growing things. Life out here is pretty good. Retirement will be like heaven for you I hope. Wishing the best for you this year and the others to follow.

2 Likes

It is actually very easy.
You just need to know how.
Attempting to develop a version that can be used on just about anything including pawpaw.
Field tests at remote locations begin July 2022.
Product gets sprayed on branches weekly.
By spring 2023 trees in the test group will be upregulated for breeding.
Blossoms will exhibit simultaneous (male/female) blooming characteristics with increased aromatic phenols to attract pollinators for inbreeding self pollination of blossoms.
Seeds will be harvested & planted.
Field Research Station will be in Arkansas.

I finally got to eat my first full cherry in 5 years, I took the picture of the first cherry as my profile

3 Likes

@Palmy_Oceans

Congratulations that’s progress! Next year will be much better. This makes a good case for some prime ark freedom ever bearing blackberries. We need everberating cherries as well. Waiting for a once a year crop and to be robbed is not ideal.

2 Likes

Thanks Clark I appreciate it!
Is the cherry in the picture fully ripened because it felt a bit too sour

1 Like