Many "vegetables" are actually fruits (and vice versa)

Oh I’m afraid so! :upside_down_face:

Perhaps I’ll eat an avocado shake someday, I may even come to like it… but I’ll never see the avocado proper as anything other than a veggie. A botanical fruit for sure, but a culinary veggie.

Honestly the more savory, oily/fatty fruits (olives, avocados) seem like they would be better placed with animal fats & dairy from a culinary/dietary perspective, but I can’t think of them as anything other than fruits.

2 Likes

Oh yes, fatty fruits definitely belong with the other fats. I guess I see them as a vegetable ‘cause I’m used to seeing them as a side dish with the meal; gastronomically. Horticulturally they’re managed as fruit trees, not to mention horticulture tends to share more terminology with botany than gastronomy. And nutrition is its own beast, despite being closely linked with gastronomy.

A couple of days after posting, re-reading the thread, and it occurs to me that my commentary may have been ill-phrased to an extent.

@disc4tw , I was not alluding to you when I was hacking at my pet peeve, I really was thinking about articles I’ve read when doing the linguistic breakdown of the matter. You did a great exploration of the botanical topics in question, and I got bogged down in the semantics. My answer isn’t even the be-all end-all, it’s merely my – limited – perspective. My apologies… I wanted to contribute to the conversation, but ended up coming across abrasive and pedantic.

I’m a little mortified. And if it turns out that it’s just me and no one was thinking these things, then, sorry for making a mountain out of a molehill. I try to be introspective, but I often miss the mark when starting out. I wish to be considerate, and contribute with thoughtful and meaningful conversation. :sweat:

2 Likes

I appreciate the perspective you offered even if it might have been phrased in a slightly combative manner. No hard feelings or bad juju my way. People around here are serious about their fruits and vegetables! Or maybe we should just say vegetables and be done with it? (just kidding).

1 Like

i agree, all jujus should be good! :wink: And if there are bad ones, don’t even use them, not even as rootstock!

1 Like