Mexican "creme guava"

Psidium guajava var. 'Mexican Cream

Is this something rare or new? I saw the article and dont recall this having been mentioned previously.

Juicier white interior/golden exterior fruit

1 Like

I came across it 20 years ago. I don’t care for Psidium guajava and so I passed on it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s rare, since I’ve seen them sold at Home Depot / Lowe’s. Haven’t tried it myself though so can’t comment on the flavor. I did do some research on tropical guavas a while ago when I was considering getting a tree (I haven’t done so), and Mexican Cream came up as one that most people spoke favorably of.

I dug up an old link that I remember seeing on this forum which mentioned this guava and compared it to a bunch of others:

1 Like

If it’s the same guava, and it looks like it is, my local Walmart sells them, as well as several other Mexican fruits and vegetables since we have a large Mexican population here.

I like them a lot. They are quite aromatic, especially for a supermarket fruit, the skin is very mildly astringent and kind of minty, the flesh is soft, smooth, sweet, and tastes like, well, guava. Seeds are harder than bullets, but small enough to not be a nuisance. They seem to swap between two different cultivars, because sometimes they are slightly bigger and the flavor is more mild, more of a banana-passionfruit mix than guava, at least to my tastes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Guava-1-lb-Clamshell/114803944