MIA: Honey Blaze and Royale Nectarines

I’ve got both. Feel free to pm me this winter if you want.

2 Likes

May be available soon?

2 Likes

With only 400 views… doesnt seem like this is very popular with folks. He says that they are very crunchy…and ‘they all are crunchy’ ‘they dont get more soft’. Sounds like they are eating a crispy apple.

Geez even Desmond Lane doesn’t know nectarines. These do get soft. All nectarines get soft when they are ripe. That’s really surprising. Lane hasn’t eaten a ripe nectarine!!!

They are good crunchy and better as they start to soften. The flavor that I like in the Honey series improves the softer they get. And left long enough they turn to mush.

The other thing is that with the right growing conditions, nectarines are better than peaches. Even Scott and Alan on the East coast have come to that conclusion. I started in my greenhouse with equal numbers of peach and nectarine varieties and more peaches since. There is only one peach left and many nectarines. Same with plums and pluots. Only one plum I’d still grow and numerous pluots.

The idea that nectarines don’t get soft is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard from a so called expert. And I’ve had a high opinion of Lane up to this point.

3 Likes

He says that these nectarines are probably more appealing to Asians or Hispanics.

When they are ripe they are crunchy like an apple he says.

…you can hear that its crunchy he says…which distinguishes it.

I’ve eaten them crunchy but they aren’t ripe when they are crunchy. They are good crunchy about two weeks before they soften. Some people really like them crunchy. I prefer them as they start to soften because they are sweeter and more flavorful.

You can eat low acid peaches crunchy as well. Acidic peaches and nectarines would be too acidic for most people if eaten crunchy.

2 Likes

Arctic Star had been talked about as being an excellent white Nectarine.I successfully grafted a scion to a Fantasia.
A couple of fruit grew one year and trying one,that may have just started to get supple,the impression was kind of a let down.The other was picked,maybe a week or two later,noticeably softer and that sold me.It was the best Nectarine I’ve had.

5 Likes

I plan on adding Arctic Glo, Jay and Star. Still on topic… im going to get a Honey Kist as well.

The last two that are on my list are Fantasia and maybe Liz’s Late.

• it really is tough reading these nurseries listing as it seems almost every one has won taste test awards
2 Likes

Looks like Grandpa will carry Honey Blaze in December maybe.
https://www.grandpasorchard.com/Tree/Prunus-Honey-Blaze

I placed an order with Bay Laurel yesterday and asked them why they dont offer Honey Blaze.

Their answer was that Dave Wilson lists them as a commercial variety only. And they cannot get them at this time.

I did a patent search and the patent expired in 2017? The Dave Wilson site also says that the patent expired.

So why such a tight grip on these? Why is it ‘commercial only’?

Honey Royale patent is also expired and is ‘commerical only’

Both of these varieties have been available ‘commercial’ for 20 years… why dont they want the public to grow them?

Perhaps Mehrabyan and Grandpas will possibly make them available idk.

1 Like

Because they still have commercial value. Meaning they’re still making big sales to commercial growers both here and abroad.

And, more importantly, they think releasing them to the public increases the chances that they’ll make it illegally to places like China.

For what it’s worth Honey Kist and Honey Blaze are very similar. Kist is available. I grew both at the same time and settled on Blaze but they’re not much different in taste or maturity date.

2 Likes

Copy.
Someone also with a handle name of fruitnut from TX said 10 years ago that ACN was selling them across the country except for Cali.

On this forum a few folks bought them from ACN… i think they also sold Royale to a few folks. Easy to be found with a search.

I was just curious why it was Ok then and not now… in the spirit of solving the original question.

I am not chasing them myself…and have Honey Kist ordered… and i thank you for bringing these to my attention…

I’m the one and only fruitnut that brags about Honey series nectarines. That was me then and I feel the same now. These have the best flavor of anything I grow. But it’s not easy getting things just right.

1 Like

@fruitnut

Do you have an older thread where you posted how your greenhouse looks? You are the one with many of your trees under cover?

3 Likes

Since i read this the past couple of days…its still fresh on my memory… its from 5 years ago… so if he doesnt mind me sharing to save him the trouble of searching.

He got em before the Chinese did. :us:

2 Likes

For the experts to figure out. Cummins will offer Honey Royale Peach scion. As far as i can tell there is no such thing as a Honey Royale Peach…so it could be the nect.? Ive never ordered or dealt with them so maybe someone can figure it out if they want/

@krismoriah
@fruitnut

Wow… That is a proper greenhouse!!!

Impressive.

1 Like

The option I’ve been thinking about is erecting a frame and using bee netting after bloom to eliminate most insects. It mPreformatted textight be a nightmare. Maybe I’ll try a tree or three and see if it’s manageable and effective.

I’m planting it back to stone fruit, mango, and more for the third time in 20 years. I’ll have fruit pictures next year.pictures from a month ago as roof was replaced

1 Like

Just send them an email to inquire. They have been responsive to my emails before.