Mid-Atlantic pomegranate realities

How much rain did you have this summer? We had lots of rain and I lost almost all the fruit. I also have a problem with losing them to wind, not the fruit the whole bush gets pushed over breaking one half of the roots.

I think the problem was we went almost 2 months no rain then got about 3 or 4 inches at one time. A good bit of figs split also because of all that rain. I havenā€™t had any plants blow over, are you spreading your roots out when you plant or just leaving them as they where in the pot? maybe your roots are circling the plant instead of spreading out.

Also adding data point.
I am in New York City (zone 7b) Here is a potted Red Silk over winter in unheated garage. It was planted in Spring 2014 in a 10 gallon container. Photos were taken couple days ago. The largest fruit is only 3 inches in diameter. I doubt I will get the fruit to fully develop this year. :cry: What did I do wrong? Did I leave too many fruits?

Thanks

1 Like

No thatā€™s not too many fruit. Itā€™s probably a matter of not enough heat and growing days. In other words not enough growing degree days. Pomegranates love heat, sun, and long hot summers.

1 Like

Actually I think it looks great, I donā€™t have a fruit looking that good on 50 some plants. You did something right

1 Like

Alex, thanks for sharing. Your test case is very helpful to me.

The biggest one you got there ALMOST looks big enough to be worth eating, so maybe it will ā€œget thereā€ before first frost.

I am convinced they do indeed crave tons of sun. Your experience proves it takes patience and luck. Good luck!

1 Like

I think they look great. I also think youā€™ve got the most promising idea for growing poms in the mid-atlantic. Potted and the unheated garage. If the pot is not too heavy it may be worth your while to bring it in and outside during the milder days in the spring.

1 Like

re: The Red Silk in 10 gallon pot (7b). Since mid-September, I pick 1 fruit every 2 week. I harvested all the fruits today.

Observations:

• Fruit size is smaller than store bought.
  • Arils size is about the same as store bought, but not as many arils in one fruit.
  • It tastes tart, compare to store bought, only get slightly sweeter as go into winter.
  • Minor rot on the skin did not seem impact the interior.
  • impressed the neighbors a lot :slight_smile:

Question: how do I increase fruit size and also sweetness? Is there any varieties I should try?

Thanks

Sep

Oct

End of Oct

4 Likes

Wow, great report. Very encouraging.

My guess is more sun will help the sweetness, or harvesting later. On my trees I have noticed some years the fruits are sweeter than others and I didnā€™t fully understand why. Unfortunately its all somewhat distant memory as its been three years with no fruit due to harsh winters.

1 Like

How old is your tree?! How many fruits did ya harvest!

Hi Ross,

Planted 2014 Spring. only about 8-9 fruits. 1 >3 inches, rest are between 2-2.5 inches.

Best

1 Like

What do you do with it in the winter.

My biggest is in a 5 gal pot and I bring it inside. I had a couple small fruit forming, but they dropped.

Scott

Scott,
I move it inside the unheated garage and try to keep them in dormant temp below 55 degree all winter.

If its not going to survive in my yard its out of luck, no coddling from me. I used to cover them and that works fine but it takes too much work for the reward.

2 Likes

I am willing to put in some extra effort for a potted Red Silk because my wife LOVES pomegranates.

2 Likes

Pomegranates bushes/trees are very well known for coming back from the roots if the roots are well developed, well devolved pomegranate roots are very hard to kill especially on a cold hardy variety like Salavatski, if that happens again then prune the dead part of the tree to the ground right way. That seems to help the root saplings come up faster.

I am shocked that last winter was cold enough to do that to your tree, our Salavatski has survived down to 3 degrees fine and ours is much smaller than yours was.

1 Like

Just to keep this updated, Iā€™m seeing swelling buds on all three of my seedling poms this week. It looks like the weird winter (mild, then a false spring) didnā€™t bother them enough to kill them to the ground.

Same here, all poms looking good! Some have more energy than others but none died back to the ground I donā€™t think. Maybe my small ones will finally get above deer height this year.

1 Like

My potted Red Silk might be dead. It apparently did not like overwintering in my basement. Maybe I got a weak specimen.

Iā€™ll be mad if the roots donā€™t even leaf out.