Milky Spore and Japanese Beetle Control?

I went to a thrift store recently and saw that they had several 20lb bags of St Gabriel milky spores granules. I asked the shop owner for a price and he said $6 a bag. I passed on the deal, and we left with some other items. I later checked the price for this product and saw it was about $40-60 per 20lb bag, so I thought I missed a chance.

Well, yesterday my wife said she was going to go back to the shop and I asked her to check and see if they still had any bags left, and told her if they would give her a deal if she bought multiple bags. So, when she got back, she said they still had the bags and they said they’d sell them at $4 per bag, so she got me 3 bags for $12! Score!

We have an awful JB problem here on the farm, they shred my 3 pluot trees’ leaves, along with our rose bushes, raspberries and some apple and blackberries. So, I’m really excited to find this stuff and try it out.

I have a few questions.

1. Since it’s winter, where can I store these bags? Will it hurt to put them in an unheated shed or barn where they will be exposed to freezing temps?

2. Is there an expiration date on this stuff?

3. When’s the best time to apply? Our JB infestations seem to start in late June and last thru August. So, maybe one application in late August, and another one in maybe October? What about spring?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think I’ve seen that vid before. But can you or anyone else comment on my 3 questions?

Subdood,
When I had questions about milky spores many moons ago, I called the company/manufacturer, St Gabriel Organics.

MILKY SPORE POWDER – 10 oz. | St. Gabriel Organics.

Milky spores is less effective in colder zones. If the ares do not have soil temp in 60–70 for three months, it is not effective. Also, you should use them when Japanese beetles grubs in your area are actively feeding.

These 7 Spring Farm Q&A can answer your questions.

https://www.7springsfarm.com/content/MILKY_SPORE_Q&A.pdf.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll look into the links. I feel like I got lucky getting these bags on the cheap. Considering how bad we get JB, I’d really like to try it out.

I think our soil is warm enough long enough to use MS. We plant corn in May and you need warm-ish soil temps to grow that, so I think we’re good there.

How’d they work for you?

It has worked fine for me. I put them on my lawn about 10 years ago. We still have a bit of JB but not noticeble at all (don’t want to jink myself).

I checked JB activities in my area before I put MS down. JBs need to be active and feeding on MS so they get killed and spread the bacteria around.

Good to hear it worked. Do you still apply it, or if not, when was the last year you did?

Also, how soon did it work for you, was it somewhat effective the first year and then really kicked in the next year?

Just that one year. It took about 2-3 years before it showed noticeable effectiveness. I used Grub Ex before MS kicked it

1 Like

I put milky spore on my lawn when i moved here, about twenty years ago. I had Japanese beetles the next year, but really haven’t had a problem with them since. Those is on a third of an acre in the suburbs.

I mean, i see a handful of them every summer, but not enough to be a problem. Maybe i wouldn’t have had a problem anyway. Hard to know. I’m fine regret having used it, though.

My dad used a trap one year. Oh my God, it attracted beetles from everywhere. It did kill them, though. But if you want to try trapping, put the trap as far from whatever you are trying to protect as you can.

1 Like

1: Best to store in a closet in a second sealed bag, freezing is okay but a cool dark place will keep the spores alive the longest.

2: Most Biocides get a two year shelf life and if it is given a two year shelf life it lasts longer than 2 years and the idea is at 2 years you get the amount on the label, so fresher is more effective.

3: Lots of different ideas on that but basically you need to apply it when the grubs are active at the soil level so from what you are telling me application date is end of june to first of september

4: The best thing we can do with milky spore is get our neighbors a 1/4 to a mile down the road to apply it also

I also look at the traps differently my goal with the traps is if i draw them in to my yard they get infected with milky spore and go spread it to there friends and family. So while it may make them stronger in my yard the end goal is total eradication and that may mean making a golden corral at my home for a year or two.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll just store it in our old house, it stays cool in there, but we keep it warm enough (propane heater) where it doesn’t freeze. I don’t know how old it is, but I doubt it’s more than 2 years old.

So, you have to apply it more than once in late summer, or just once during that time span?

1 Like

Sounds like a great place to store it

I think the earlier you can apply in that timeframe the better and in my brain I assume it works better applied during a rainy period and watered in lightly as I assume it lives in the soil surface and dislikes uv and chlorine. I had extra and applied some at a few old grapevines I like about 1/4 mile away from my house.

Yes, it has not really worked here. After two attempts I gave up on MS. But BT bacteria for grubs (all grubs, not just JB) has worked amazingly well. Going from hundreds a year to handfuls, to virtually none. I have seen 10 beetles in the last 3 years.

1 Like

In the States I was in zone 7a. I used Milky spore in two lawns and my orchard. It was incredible. I love it. I lived at my house for close to 20 years and after milky spore I had but one or two beetles after 19 years. Pretty darned good!

I’m in 6a and would highly advise to save your money. I gave it 5 years and no change after 2 applications. With BT I saw results in 2 years. Plus it kills other pest larvae, awesome stuff! The cold is not an issue as it is with milky. At least the manufacturer admits it doesn’t work well here.

@Drew51, what is BT?

Huh, I’m Zone 6, probably 6b, but as best as I can tell, milky spore worked here.

Milky Spore is always sold at thee the wrong time of year. It has to be applied during the summer heat it will infect the grubs of the next generation. Thus it will not have any effect till the year after its spread. You will still need to emply other beetle control methods this year.

Cool, this is really good info. Plus my info is so anecdotal, it means little.
Something else could have messed up my two attempts. Like dead spores, even though both applications were from different companies and ordered in the summer.

Bacillus thuringiensis

It also works on adults, not cheap!

Nematodes

This is what I used, the BT bacteria.

1 Like

All of Drew’s links are to the correct product of course. But everyone should be aware there are several species of Bt. Each targeting a diffrent pest

Japanese beetle grub control time? - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit

1 Like