Mirabelle Plums - Are they worth planting?

That is Prune d’Agen (more properly, a seedling of it). I think the one they sell is sometimes called French Improved. At least that is what I got from them many years ago.

My favorite European plum is currently Bavays Green Gage so that is the one I would graft to it myself…

2 Likes

Thank you Scott! I’ll be receiving the tree in a few weeks. If you were in my position, would you graft right away or wait for the tree to establish itself and graft next year?

I usually graft right away so the graft doesn’t get out-competed by the rest of the tree. Last year I ordered a couple new pears and plums and turned several of them into two-variety trees which worked out pretty well in terms of the balance I have after one season.

1 Like

Now I need to search for scions of Bavays Green Gage! Would you know of anyone selling any? I see Burnt Ridge has some “Green Gage,” but doesn’t specify Bavays.

Bavay’s Green gage and Green Gage are two different trees. It is confusing when talking about green gage vs the others because there are so many gages that of green.

1 Like

@elivings1 @scottfsmith I’m on the phone right now with Burnt Ridge Nursery and I have them all stumped. I don’t think they know which Green Gage they have. Can’t find anyone who is selling scions of Bavays GG. Been looking for a few hours. The owner of Burnt Ridge is going to be calling me back.

Is Bavays Green Gage the same as “Reine Claude?”

They called back and said he had it for over 30 years, but doesn’t recall what type of GG it is. So he just calls it Green Gage. :slight_smile:

A google search says the actual Green Gage is Reine Claude.

Like I said it is confusing because some call it by it’s actual name and others just say green gage.

In be case newer members are not aware, Scott has written about Euro plum types in detils here.

I have the one from Burnt Ridge. It is Reine Claude Verte, or Old Green Gage. I have a Reine Claude Doree on order, and a Rosy Gage. I also have Opal, but it is not a small plum in my climate.

How does Opal taste compared to French Improved?

I had a French prune tree that I bought from Lowe’s about 10 years ago. That was probably different from French Improved. That French prune was no good taste-wise and I cut it down 2 years ago. Opal is much better than Lowe’s French prune.

Has anybody fermented them into a country wine or distilled in a brandy?

2 Likes

I haven’t done it myself, but this was very tasty stuff, so I’d recommend doing it if anyone has the necessary skills to do so safely.

I do wonder if the undistilled plum wine would be similarly good. The brandy definitely has a hint of “very overripe plum” which some may find offensive or “rotten tasting,” but it was in a way that worked well as a brandy.

2 Likes

For us in our climate etc Mirabelle seems much more disease resistant than most plums, def more so than gages. That is with a no spray approach and no issues for 5-10 year old mirabelle trees.

1 Like

So far American Mirabelle is a bust for me. I have to admit, I didn’t bother to thin my graft of it, but the flavor is so flat. Nothing but sugar and a slight off-taste to my palate. Who needs tiny plums, anyway. I have enough to do and there are such delicious large plums that you can pit and freeze and use for sauce or deserts all year long in less than half the prep time.

At least Damson plums offer certain clear culinary advantages and make exceptionally good preserves. Like sour cherries, even soft ripe, they aren’t great off the tree. Firm and they are spitters.

I have the 5 in 1 mirabelle plum from raintree planted last year. It fruited this year i would say more than 50 count here in Sacramento 9a. My family loves it because it is sweet and full of sugar. Coming from Asian descent I noticed we love fruits that is full of sugar than the complex tasting fruits. :smiley:

1 Like

With no spray some years the Mirabelles come out unblemished and are nice to eat while still firm enough to break in half with fingers and pluck out the pit. Then one nice mouthful before on to the next. If there’s insect inside, pitch it, no huge loss.

A bit like shelling and eating peanuts or pistachios. A different mindset from a juicy peach-sized plum :slight_smile:

They are the one stonefruit I can enjoy while walking the orchard without having to wash my hands after before doing anything else. (I don’t have any good freestone prunes this year)

5 Likes

Real fruit growers always have sticky hands during harvest season :wink:

1 Like