Morels! How can I store them?

A friend gave use two pounds of lovely morels and we can’t use them up very quickly. Can the be refrigerated for more than a few days, or frozen, or can I slice them and air-dry them?

Thanks!

3 Likes

They’ll dry nicely. Either cut them in half and let them dry on a rack, or you may be able to string them up whole. A food dehydrator will also make short work of them.

Freezing also works, but you should cook them before freezing, or else you end up with goo.

3 Likes

Set your oven to the lowest temp 150f would be good with the door cracked open. bake till dry.

4 Likes

@jcguarneri, @lordkiwi Do you both wash them first?

2 Likes

I dont wash my mushrooms before drying them but these never have ground contact. When i find the bugs got to them first I will wash them but I dont preserve those I try to use them immediately. Cleaning is really about making sure there is no sand, dirt or bugs.

3 Likes

@marknmt You can also cut them in half and flour them. Then put them on a tin foiled cookie sheet and freeze them. Once they are frozen, you can put in freezer bags. When your ready to eat, drop them into hot butter or olive oil. DO NOT thaw before cooking or @jcguarneri is right, you will have a gooey mess!

2 Likes

I’ll brush off any excess debris, but the soaking water will take care of the wash. Decant off the liquid and use it like a nice stock! I do give any mushrooms I’m going to eat fresh a thorough wash. They soak up a lot less liquid than is popularly thought, especially if you’re quick, and especially especially if you run them through a salad spinner afterwards.

2 Likes