Most cold hardy figs? Ronde de Bordeaux?

I couldn’t have said it better.

1 Like

As far as I know, cold hardy mangoes don’t exist, unfortunately… But I encourage you to visit Egypt in the summer to enjoy some top quality mangoes, as well as the Red Sea :blush:!

1 Like

One of the definitions of synonyms = resembles. The question then becomes how close a resemblance, as you know there is such a thing as vague resemblances.

Booo!!! I want my cold hardy mangoes!!!

Good idea re Egypt. I’ve always wanted to see Sharm El-Sheikh.

5 Likes

It’s definitely not what Condit meant. I’ve not only read his monograph, but broken down the data and placed it in a relational database.

1 Like

I don’t see anything from bopcrane about a rental, so I think this question was meant for me.

The fig I was referring to above was “Reservoir”. I took a cutting from it in fall 2018, planted it in-ground at a different rental in July 2019, and this picture was 2 years later in August 2021. It has grown pretty quick- by fall (2.5 years), it was up to 10-12’.

I think it has a decent chance of coming through OK for a few reasons. The town it is in could be a few degrees warmer than it is for me (maybe 3F for a low instead of 0F). And in addition to being up against the house, I located it outside a window and 2 air conditioners (which I assume always leak a bit of heat), one above and one near the base.

I also have a MVB and a Bryant Dark along the same side of the building. The MVB hasn’t produced anywhere near as well and the Bryant Dark is a year younger and hasn’t done much yet (but was very good in a pot).

5 Likes

@BobVance What is MVB fig?

Reservoir, looks good and should grow here, wow 2yrs growth! Up against a structure is the only way I remember anyone growing them around here. I want in the ground for sure.

Thanks Bob.

I think it came to me as “MVB”, but I can’t even find that record. But, I think MVB stands for “Marseilles vs Black”

If you’d like more info on Reservoir, there is a lot (almost 150 posts) in the below thread. The original plant is massive and I’ve been sending out cutting each fall.

https://growingfruit.org/t/fig-prunings-reservoir/19036

2 Likes

I’ve been slogging through that thread, haha! Yes, please put me on your cutting list sir! I haven’t tried rooting, but will give it a try.

1 Like

Funny labeling. MBvs (Marseilles Black vs) would make more sense. “vs” represent the initials of the grower who introduced the variety, who also introduced Florea (i.e., Florea vs) and Vasilika Sika vs.

6 Likes

First VS called it “Marseilles” than he renamed it to ‘Marseilles Black’, he changed the name because ‘Marseilles’ is a common name for ‘Marseilles White’. It was the people redistributing the ‘Marseilles Black’ that put the VS in the name, some people wrote it ‘Marseilles Black VS’, and some wrote it ‘Marseilles VS Black’. Most people write the name as ‘Marseilles Black VS’, especially these days.

4 Likes

Has anyone grown fignomenal? Its supposedly a sport of Chicago hardy, remains 28 inches tall and can continuously fruit well in a container indoors with grow lights. Are these characteristics at all realistic or is it just nurseries trying to make money?

No.

Does anyone have improved Celeste (not orourke Celeste) cuttings up for trade?

You might want to post this in Trading Post section.

2 Likes

I have VdB, one I bought and one I rooted. Brought one inside about the first time it got to 15 degrees ourside. Left the other outside in pot unprotected last winter. Both look good right now, but no fruits. (*But, it was a mild winter with just one morning dipping to 9F.)

1 Like

Yeah something is off here. I’m in z7a and my chicago hardy is my most reliable heavy producer. @TNHunter has also shown how insanely productive his is, and I believe his is in ground.

EDIT: For anyone still hunting for cold hardy recommendations, I’d check out Ross’s list: Cultivar List - Google Sheets

He updates it often as his experiments progress.

I write it ‘Marseilles Black’ (VS) to include both the name and attribution without indicating the attribution is part of the name.

1 Like

well my in ground chicago hardy set lots of fruit and grew 3ft. taller. i pruned all the newer fruit and kept about 20 of the older ones. like i was told, they wont ripen in time. ill probably cull it even though it survived -40f in ground last winter with roots cut on one side , tipped over and covered with a tarp and snow blown on it. i have a 4ft tall Florea that Barkslip gave me that i will ,do the same to. hopefully i get some off of it. if i do ill plant a cutting of it where c. hardy was planted.

1 Like