Most fireblight resistant apples

Looking at the USDA test rankings, Ginger Gold is the best GD progeny for fireblight. Ranking 4th in the 98/99 trials.

1 Like

Best meaning least fireblight? Ginger Gold is a fireblight magnet in my orchard, one of the worst.

Worse than average fire blight here this yearā€”killed two Asian pears (Meigetsu and my last Hosui). There are many small-to-medium strikes on susceptible apples (usually not as severely affected as pears here).

Just wanted to chime in, because Chestnut Crab has been positively mentioned a couple of times in thread. My young Chestnut (grafted on M111 in 2022 with scion from @39thparallel) is directly downwind from a Mutsu full of strikes. Chestnut did receive a few tip strikesā€”but thatā€™s all they were: none was longer than an inch, and the tree quickly compartmentalized them, allowing them to progress no further down the young, green tissue. The lost tips have since been replaced by new, vigorous growth. Chestnut is almost certainly resistant here. (Also in its favor: have not seen a speck of CAR on itā€”and we are utterly surrounded by eastern red cedars full of cedar ā€œapples.ā€)

1 Like

That is what their fireblight inoculation test showed. 4th best resistance out of 14 tested that year. Maybe they were resistant to the strain used.

Golden Supreme is resistant to many things other then blight; but it is not a GD relative. Just much like it.

1 Like

Yes I canā€™t think of any other reason for such a wide disparity. I almost took it out one year because it had so many strikes.

It sounds like Chestnut is resistant to many strains given how all of us seem to be doing well with it.

2 Likes

I have a lot of Roxbury Russet trees. They are very productive easy to grow. One of the best around here for cider production. You do trade super high brix for lower juice production with them. I would have said they are top tier for disease resistance, but Iā€™m seeing a few FB strikes on the espaliered trees in river bottom orchard. No problems with free standing trees up on the hill.

Your mileage will vary, Past performance does not guarantee future results. There are a lot of apples out of the 200+ varieties I grow I have not yet seen major disease issues with. I hesitate to recommend rare / oddball varieties that I have not personally seen a long record of or had others confirm they are worth growing.

5 Likes

I was just pleasantly surprised my Blairmont on M111 has apparently resurrected itself from death by fireblight. Glad I stuck with it and cared for it like all the others. It is leafing out well.

1 Like

@39thparallel How about Kandil Sinap? I have one I grafted (scion from you) on G11 and am wondering how it could fare no-spray? Itā€™s just too interesting of an apple to not take a crack at growing itā€¦also wondering about fresh eating quality?

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen any major problems with Kandil Sinap. Its flavor is good for a table apple. It might fare well with no spraying in the right location.

3 Likes

I want to add all the Sinaps at one point. But especially the caramel flavor notes Sary version.

1 Like

Interesting, my Roxburyā€™s came from Mike, but Iā€™ve had a very different experience with them. I lost one of 3 from fire blight, and the other two were plagued by it each season. They had large open wounds on the trunk and the laterals were reduced to 2-3ā€™ stubs. I was ready to pull them, and then they turned around. Active fire blight strikes stopped, one of the trees has healed over itā€™s trunk, the other is working on it. I started spraying streptomyacin in the spring, perhaps that brought them around. Laterals are starting to reform, and the black on the trunks has gone away. I replaced the 3rd tree and itā€™s growing well without strikes, so far. If I recall, @Lodidian had issues with Roxbury Russet here in upstate NY as well.

2 Likes

We didnā€™t experience it ourselves, but an orchard two miles away has hundred year old Roxburys that got hit three years ago.

I lost one Roxbury russet on Antonovka. It ran all the way into the roots fast. I have another on b118 that is still holding its own, but I have pruned out some suspicious areas since losing the other.

1 Like

Another FB resistant suggestion is Bonkers / NY 73334-35 from the New York Fruit Experiment Station. Itā€™s a Liberty / Red D cross resistant to FB, Scab and Rust. Juicy with a sweet tart flavor.

7 Likes

@Paul-VA

My most fireblight resistant apples are

Honeycrisp
Prarie spy
Haralson
39thparallel
Snow
My seedling apples eg. Clarks crabapple

5 Likes

@39thparallel Iā€™m growing this apple, glad to hear its disease resistance is legit. How is the flavor, do you think itā€™s better or equal to Liberty in fresh eating? Just ate my first Liberty apple this weekend and I thought it was pretty good

7 Likes

I would say itā€™s in the same flavor profile as Liberty. Bonkers seems to ripen up over a long period making it better suited the backyard then a production orchard. That may be one of the reasons it was never officially released by Cornell. I have found that letting Liberty hang longer changes it from fair to great.

5 Likes