Moved; New Raised Bed Garden - What worked/didn't work for you?

@Bellatrix Wow, congrats on your beautiful new property! What did you end up deciding?

I use the same corner blocks that Bear_with_me shows in their photos of the older beds. I got mine at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-7-5-in-x-7-5-in-x-5-5-in-Tan-Brown-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693 So easy to install if you are using standard lumber.

1 Like

@LemonDrop For now, I decided to stick to the set up I used before with the cedar 4x4 as the corner brace with my Trex boards, just to get something in place. I bought a new drill that fits by small hand much better and it was a lot easier putting them together. I reinforced the long sides with rebar, so hopefully they won’t break the nails this time. I will probably change to something else in the future, but for now, I at least have a garden! I may try the blocks on the smaller beds now that I can slow down a bit. I changed to six 4 foot by 24 foot beds (5 are in place now), with a center trellis (concrete reinforcement wire). This will allow me a more easy three-year tomato rotation. I still need to add the regular 4x8 and 4x12 beds, but I ran out of steam. Eventually, I want to do a galvanized roof bed. I ended up with a north/south (ish) orientation, mostly because it looked better with the property.

I left the grass between the beds and they are wide enough to fit the mower through. I’m have a paver patio installed by the house, so it is a bit messy around the garden right now! But these are the first beds, topped with compost. The trellis part still need to be installed. The property is a wonder. The previous owner was an amazing gardener and seeing everything she planted come up this Spring was such a gift!

10 Likes

Oh, and I tilled the grass/soil before setting up the beds, tilled in compost, added some cardboard (in some, not in others), and topped with a mixed of topsoil and compost.

I left grass between my raised bed and it was a pain. The weed eater starting chewing the boards.

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure that I’m going to leave it this way. If I do, I may dig out the grass by the edges and put down clover seed.

Looks great @Bellatrix ! Wow, 24 foot beds, you’ll be able to grow a lot.

The garden has done very, very well this year, especially considering the late start, the weird weather, and the root-bound seedlings. I am happy with the design and love the wide rows. The first picture is taken from almost the same location as the picture in the original post. A bit of a change!

(side note: the grass around the patio is another story. A disaster that will need to be fixed when we have rain and cooler weather)

5 Likes

Wow, everything looks so lush and happy - great job! Love the pooch and patio too :slight_smile:

2 Likes