Multi grafted sweet cherries

I tried to get a picture of an angled cleft graft. The shown graft is a plum onto apricot rootstock. Hope it shows the angle though I did make grafts with more of an angle. That is the only graft I have at hand right now. It doesn’t look like much of an angle but was enough to let the bottom of the wedge at the scion poke out of the cleft. I try to angle the scion just enough to ensure cambium crosses.

The next picture shows the graft today. I’m quite sure it is a success.

1 Like

I know it is off topic but I’d like to show a last update of my angled cleft graft. At least I’m touching the topic since it will be a multi grafted apricot tree by next year…

The graft is doing well.

4 Likes

Here’s an updated pic. It took a while, but things haven’t been all that warm around here for the last 1-2 weeks.

This is why I don’t chip bud…I like my grafts to live :blush:

Actually, I had more success from last summer’s chip buds, than from past years. I think I had maybe 7-8 takes out of 38 chip and T buds. But, that’s only a 20% success rate- I think I have better odds with summer cleft grafts. I’ve had 3-4 of those take in maybe 10 tries.

3 Likes

What i’ll do is place 3 buds on one branch…or 2…usually at least 2…usually 1 of those 2 takes…i have a few this year where all 3 took…so i usually cut off to the lowest one since i like lower branches. I had very good success last summer (this years growth)…even have a few of those buds with fruit holding…not sure if that is smart to leave them. I like sitting out in the hot sun…90F ///bud stick in my hand…razor sharp knife…sweat dripping down my face…mosquitoes biting me nonstop…kids crying…wife yelling…neighbors staring …as i bud away . Someday robots will do it for us…we’ll sip lemonade and yell obscenities and throw things at them while they work :robot:

That’s a really good success rate. I just realized that the 7-8 success are across both Chip and T buds (another 60 last summer, making it a cool 8%), and only include stone fruit, which excludes the 0% success rate on grapes (0/11). Of course, I’m only 1 for 43 in cleft grafting grapes over the last 3 years, so they’ve been pretty tough for me, no matter the grafting method.

All those horrid stats should make my apparent bark grafting initial success, 3/5 with peaches and 6/9 with cherries all the more impressive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just harvested these Rainier cherries today because the birds are going crazy over it. We had 90 plus in temperature the last 3 weeks so cherries are quite good.

Tony

7 Likes

Very impress8ve, Tony. How do they taste?

We go from Winter to Summer without Spring. The dry weather make them real sweet cherry flavor. I hope your are doing good this year too.

Tony

I don’t have Rainier (even though it is my most favorite store-bought variety). I have only Black Gold and 5-6 varieties, none is Rainer :unamused:

Do you have a whole tree of Rainer or it’s one of your grafts.

That’s vigor!

The original graft was Rainier on a Cole rootstock. Six years I later I turned it to a multi grafted cherry tree.

Tony

Which sweet cherry variety is your favorite (home-grown). I am not that impressed with my Black Gold and my other grafts have not produced.

I liked Rainier, Sandra Rose and Bing.

Tony

Have you gotten any fruit from Selah?

FN,

I grafted your Selah scion and it took but the following year the deer snapped it off. I was pretty upset because you gave it a thumbs up. Bummer!

Tony

1 Like