Multigraft peach/nectarines

I’ve been looking at the DWN website and their multi-grafted fruit trees, specifically the peach varieties. And I’m finding the multi-grafted varieties are ones I already have like Elberta, Gold Dust, etc as single trees and I’m happy with them.

I want newer varieties like O’Henry, Rio Oso Gem, Kaweah, Cal Red, JH Hale, Indian Blood Cling, and these are difficult enough to find on their own in local bay area nurseries, so I’m not sure what the chances are to find multi-grafted trees with these varieties. Is it wild to wonder if anyone offers custom grafted peach/nectarine trees?

1 Like

All of mine are multi-grafted trees. But I did it myself. There are nurseries who will custom graft. It’s not a big thing as people who become more involved usually do take up grafting. You can buy rootstock or use a seedling. Or just buy a new tree and convert scaffolds over to different cultivars. I’m doing this this year. I have a new nectarine tree which I’m picking and shaping the permanent scaffolds on now. I will graft to each scaffold a different cultivar (next year). Except I will leave one of the original tree too.
I have an Indian Free tree I grafted 3 pluots and 2 nectarines to. So I have 6 cultivars on this tree which is no taller than 5 feet. Why I bought another tree, too many on this one!

4 Likes

The chances are pretty slim that you can have someone custom graft those varieties for you. I’d say, if you feel insecure, buy one of those varieties bare root next winter and start grafting others on it. Even if all of your grafts fail, you still have your base variety. If you are feeling adventurous, get rootstocks and graft away

2 Likes

http://www.cumminsnursery.com/custom.htm

No mention of multi-grafts, but I’m sure that’s just a matter of payment.

On this site people offer wood from just about any tree you can name. Like I grafted Old Mixon Free peach last season. You cannot buy this tree anymore. You can only get it here. All you have to do is ask for help obtaining the cultivars before scion collection season. I have Indian Blood Cling btw.

I agree with Udhay though best to buy one and graft others unto it. It’s not that hard. If I can do it anybody can. I would though graft the 2nd year so tree is not just treying to survive when you graft. Also control angles of scaffold branches to get a very good form.

6 Likes

@bonitapplebump, I can help you out next spring. I have some really nice varieties and can buy something from our nursery and turn it into a 3 or 4 in one tree by next May or June. Please reach out in December or January so I can secure scion. Also, let me know how many chill hours you get there to make your selections. What town are you in also would help out. I am about 2 hours from SF. I believe you may be limited to low chill fruit where you are at. Also, DWN has their multi grafted low chill peach combo and you can probably order from Bay Laurel nursery. That may be your best bet unless you have good chilling hours. For example, O henry peaches, and most mentioned above, require at least 750 chill hours, probably never get fruit where you are at. So find out how many chilling hours you get before choosing your fruit. PM me if you need help, I have some really good fruits here that only require 250 to 300 hours of chill. That may be stretching it where you are at though.

4 Likes

That would be great! I’ll PM you my location. I’m coastal East Bay, near Berkeley.

Thank you for posting. I’m ashamed to say I tried to graft close to 10 varieties this year to various trees for the first time and they all failed.

1 Like

For a low chill peach, I highly recommend Peachy Keen Peach. I got this tree the same way as any beginner - walked into a store, asked for a peach, got this and planted it :slight_smile: No idea about variety, chill hours or rootstock. It has been quite productive and tasty - Peachy Keen Peach - #2 by californicus. I can send the scions to Jon, if you are interested and he is helping you with grafting.

2 Likes