Muscadine season end or beginning

Thanks

thank you!

Muscat grape is divided into round leaf grape, black grape and Mexican grape.

Do you have any links to the website about introducing black grape and Mexican grape? Where can I buy black grapes and Mexican grape seedlings? I want to try planting some.

1 Like

While any question about Muscat grapes is a bit off topic from this thread they do have a sort of muscadine flavor to them so I guess there is a connection.

I had a New York Muscat vine that I ordered from Bunchgrapes.com as a cutting that produced for a few years. It was a shy bearer that eventually died from Pierceā€™s disease. I did like the flavor of the few N.Y. Muscat grapes that I ate.

Bunchgrapes has numerous selections of Muscat cultivars so you might want to take a look at them.

1 Like

thank you!

Looking at that page, Jupiter looks like the best seedless Muscat grape.

Has a friend ever planted Jupiter?
How about the disease resistance? Does Jupiter need medicine?

2 Likes

Yes, I did at one time have 4 Jupiter vines that I got as cuttings from Bunchgrapes. Very delicious mild Muscat flavor when fully ripe. Nice fleshy crispy pulp. Dark blue color when fully ripe. Skin was somewhat edible. Problem was that I was always picking them before they were really ripe because of the birds. Edible when not fully ripe but without great flavor. Eventually I lost the vines to Pierceā€™s Disease. They did develop Powdery and Downy Mildew disease so spraying is advised as they are highly susceptible. Never noticed any Black Rot.

I had forgotten about Jupiter being a hybrid Muscat grape maybe because they are said to be a table grape rather than a juice grape. Sometimes I did freeze them as Auburn has alluded to with his muscadines. Donā€™t remember ever trying to juice Jupiter grapes.

1 Like

Just found a green grass, add a little green to the potted muscadine.

1 Like

The added green is a nice touch. How long have you had them in a containers and how well do the produce?

In their natural environment the vines grow rapidly up or across areas to compete for the sunlight. When they grow upward into trees most of the foliage is near the top and a smaller amount in lower areas. Like you I have seen some vines get high in a tree. I suspect on a 20ā€™ wire you actually have more desirable fruiting area. It would be interesting to see how fruitful a vine would be with extending the wire/vine to 30-40-50ā€™.

Iā€™m just guessing but, horizontally they should produce the entire length. Your right though in the wild the bulk of the length is vertical and non productive. I have heard that the reason vines are kept short is because the fruit quality lowers from end to end. I might take a vine and put that to the test.

Also, I have learned that muscadines grow faster upward than side to side. So I might try letting them grow up a stick then later in the season pull down to the wire. Just a couple fun experiments.

1 Like

Itā€™s only a year. Container planting still doesnā€™t grow well on the ground.

1 Like

Top advantage, growth hormone concentrated in the top of the branch, promote the branch to grow up. The branches grow up, and the growth hormone concentrates on the top and grows very fast. When the branches are flattened, the advantage of the top of the front branches is slowed down by the side branches sharing on the same level, resulting in the slow growth of the branches. I donā€™t think the faster all varieties grow, the better. Some vigorous varieties such as Darlene need to be controlled to grow too fast to have better yield. Just personal understanding, not necessarily right.

I have quite a few of them in different stages of growth. Iā€™m just looking for quick growth of the young ones to get the final form Iā€™m looking for. Then switch to pruning for fruit.

1 Like