Muscadines 2022

Hope your Oh My grows well. My 8” vine arrived a little before our last frost and freeze dates ended. I went ahead and planted it and watched the weather. If I remember correctly I covered it with a couple of layers of cloth a couple of times when it was predicted to frost or freeze. Now that my vines are older they appear to be as hardy and vigorous as my other varieties. A friend gifted me with another vine when he decided he didn’t want to pick any more muscadines than what he already had. I have way more fruit than I can use but dines are enjoyable to grow.

1 Like

Oh My to my taste doesn’t have the heavy muscadine flavor as my black varieties do but they aren’t as mild as regular table types. I’m hoping that they will develop a seedless one that tastes like Black Beauty, Southern Home or Paulk etc.

Meaning European grapes?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

My favorite football snack, frozen Hall muscadines. My college team hasn’t played well this season but I’m sure we won’t lose this weekend.

3 Likes

Goes well with the countertop and backsplash :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No one responded to my $5 muscadine plants for sale in my area so I pulled the nasty things out so I can plant some Oh My Seedless. I had roots about 20’ from each plant.

1 Like

Wow, they liked your soil!

1 Like

Good luck with Oh My. I hope you’re as pleased as I am with the one I have.

1 Like

How do you remove tendrils that are wrapped around your cordon? I find the task at least a little annoying trying not to damage the cordon and quickly remove the tendril. I’m considering using a carpet blade in one of my box knives. What say you, bad idea or good idea? Do you know of a good alternative?
carpet blade Z0Crqyfo5oz

I have a pair of small side cutters that work just about right for removing tendrils.

1 Like

You make hornet traps out of 2 liters bottles. I have 8 of them around my 15 vines. It doesn’t completely clear them out but definitely reduced them about 95% if not 98%. It went from hornet/wasp city to a ghost town for me in 3 days. I caught hundreds of them every 2 weeks.

I thought so too but I had a hunch it was because of overcropping. I did my best to keep Lane from overcropping this year. It was my favorite one this year in term of taste.

Out of all my muscadines. The easiest to get good taste and production is Hall and Paulk. With that said, if you just let any muscadine gets to the dulled skin stage. Most are usually fantastic. I have only noticed bland berries from Lane and Nestbitt. They were way overcropped and there were lots of rain those years.

4 Likes

These Masins were created almost by mistake. I loaded up my cheap dehydrator with seedless muscadines and checked on them regularly while they were drying. The smaller ones were getting small and a little hard so I took these out. The remainder was about half way dehydrated and I also took these out and bagged and put them into the freezer. Today I put some into a bowl and I got a fantastic snack. They were cold and semi ferm but not hard. They were a complex sweet with a hint of tartness. I’m assuming that the dehydrating concentrated the sweet taste. I have seen better looking fruit but the taste was hard to beat.

11 Likes

Thanks for posting about your discovery!

1 Like

Dormant Plans. The muscadine leaves have fallen and this is an excellent time to look over your vineyard and determine if you want to make any changes. I’m maxed out on adding more vines but I might replace one with a Ruby Crisp. I have a few places of wire that have a little sag and I had plans to tighten/raise these areas but after picking fruit from these areas it was a welcome relief on my shoulder to pick some fruit at a lower level. The high areas are about 5.5’ and the lower places about 5’. My wire trellis is simple but appears to be adequate. I might add a few more t-posts just for insurance. What are your off season plans?

5 Likes

Really have not thought about it. Meant to look for some wild muscadine vines while I was deer hunting but plumb forgot about it. Kind of hard to identify the vines in the woods at this time of year. It would be my luck to dig up a vine and set it out and it would be something trash.

As delicious as my Scuppernong jelly turned out, I ought to plant another Scuppernong.

I just finished reading about Ruby Crisp vine. Interesting.

[RubyCrisp - Choosing a Cultivar | Muscadine Grape Breeding]

2 Likes

Added several inches of leaves as mulch today, 4 to 5 bags for each plant. These were from the neighborhood so they were raked and bagged by others, all I had to do was pick them up and dump them on my muscadines.

Haven’t started the winter pruning yet. There’s always a ton of that even though I’ve only got three established vines.

3 Likes

What are your protection plans for your vines with the temps forecasted to get into the teens?

I don’t plan to do anything extra to my vines. The lows predicted are about the lowest I will get so this can serve as a test for which varieties to grow or not grow. I don’t want the varieties I would have to pamper every time the temps drop.

2 Likes

My next door neighbor was bagging leaves today and he was about to take them to the roadside so I asked him If I could have them. Leaves in my opinion are great for suppressing grass around my vines.

1 Like

Tonights the night and everthings going to be alright. I hope so. Looks like we will have about 3-4 days of extreme cold for our area. Hope everyone’s vines survive and leave your outside faucets dripping.

3 Likes