Muscadines 2022

The Oh My appears to be a pass-through sale that ships from Gurney’s.

1 Like

If I go out in the woods on my property and find a muscadine vine growing wild, how would I know if its self-fertile or female?

1 Like

You can google muscadine blooms and see the three types. Male, female, and self fertile. In the wild most are male and some are female but it would be unusual to see a self fertile. The self fertile has been used/crossed in to the point that it is what most growers want. Self fertile tends to produce larger crops and they have developed many varieties that rival the largest females.

3 Likes

Muscadines three flower types. Perfect is what I refer to as self fertile.

5 Likes

After viewing the link that @drusket put up, digging up a vine in the woods seems like a bargain even if I break my back digging. At $65.46 OH MY better be seedless and then some. Are they called “OH MY” because you scream “OH MY” when you see the price? I’ve grown seedless bunch grapes and they were nice but not $65.46 nicer than the seeded. Are the skins on OH MY perfectly edible?

Its free shipping on the ones in the woods too. :grinning:

3 Likes

If you go out in the woods looking at wild vines your not likely to find any that are self fertile. You will be looking for female vines. There is only two practical ways to determine if its female. If it has fruit it will be female and of course you can determine by looking at the flower.

1 Like

Those are the exact reasons that I’ve waited to let someone tell me if it’s really muscadine taste and really seedless. I’ve bought jujubes for close to that amount especially with shipping included. Gurney’s is free shipping so I’m having a go. Things are only worth what you willing to pay for them. Always. :blush:

And you can get 10% off if you give them your email and say they can send you offers……

3 Likes

Just a little more on my opinion of the Oh My taste. I thought it was good tasting and the seedless made eating them more pleasant to eat. When I purchased it for the high price I was also thinking about how easy it would be to make jam/jelly without dealing with the seed. In comparison to my better tasting female muscadines I would give them the edge toward tasting better. Some of my favorite female varieties are Hall and Black Beauty. Paulk only had a small sample but it was also good.

5 Likes

I agree with Bill, and no reason not to have several different vines to enjoy what is best from each kind. I don’t think too many folks have grown so many different varieties so your advice is helpful for comparison. I recall you were also going to make some seedless raisins but I don’t remember how they turned out.

4 Likes

Thin skin.

2 Likes

This discussion on muscadines reminds me of the time several years ago when I was at Lowes to buy my first muscadine vine. The plant was in a cup only marked “Muscadine” with some name of the nursery. I asked the guy at the counter “What variety is it?”. He said “Muscadine”. I said something like “Yeah I know that but what variety of Muscadine?”. He again said “Muscadine”. Needless to say, I did not buy. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’m learning how to make raisins. The first batch dehydrated a little too much. They were way too tough but worked okay in muffins. I was more careful the 2nd time. I was taste testing and pull these a little early because they had a taste that I liked. The skin is a little tougher that the grape type that you buy. I bagged and froze them for later use.

4 Likes

Picked 3 and a half pounds of my Supremes. I was trying to let them get darker and sweeter, but the vine is full of bald faced hornets and other stingy beasts munching on them now so I have to get what I can.

How do others deal with the hornets and yellow jackets? They’ve gotten really bad in our area and destroyed some pears and a lot figs as well.

5 Likes

Carefully

1 Like

They are just now getting bad at my location. I lift the vine and look for damaged fruit and I move the vine around a little as pick. I don’t like getting stung.

2 Likes

Hornets!

2 Likes

Bald face hornets are actually in the yellow jacket family. They are not true hornets. The usual culprits with muscadines are actual yellow jackets that have mandibles for ripping and tearing. They will tear a hole in the skin and suck out the juice. Hornets may do the same, but usually you find them at the holes yellow jackets made.

2 Likes

I’m seeing bald faced hornets and some yellow jackets, but also some very large yellow/gold hornet type things as well. Imagine a yellow jacket that is a little more orangish than yellow and twice as long as a yellow jacket. They’re a bit bigger than the bald-faced hornets and even more frightening.

Assuming they are just going to continue to menace me, is there a better time to pick during the day when they won’t be as active?

2 Likes

Sounds like European hornets - which are true hornets. Yes, you can pick very early in the morning and very late in the evening with less problems from the various bees and wasps. Shake the vines a few times to verify there are no wasp nests.

2 Likes

I’m seeing all of these in huge quantities. Luckily they are still too occupied with my pears to notice my muscadines and figs. I have traps full of bees and there just seems to be no end to them.

1 Like