Music Garlic

It’s been a while. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 minutes for average size cloves. You’ll know they’re ready when the skins start to char. You’ll want to stir/toss them periodically to make sure they cook evenly.

2 Likes

It’s also just a really good way to roast a small amount of garlic for immediate use.

1 Like

Yep! Looks just like mine. Right now I’m looking for scapes on any of my garlics/onions. Gotta cut those as soon as I see them. Great to cook with and will diminish the size of the garlic bulb if I let them grow and produce flowers/seeds.

I don’t know if you all do this; but I am really careful about how I go about harvesting my garlic. I avoid pulling on the top of the plants and slip a hand spade under the bulb without damaging it while pushing it up. I found out about this technique only a few seasons back and found that all my garlic keeps longer if I avoid breaking the neck. I don’t cut the leaves off until I am about the use the bulb.

1 Like

I just have an overall shot of the patch mixed with onions, but I think music does grow really well for us! Just gotta figure out curing this year to hopefully not get mold like we did last year.

4 Likes

I just went out and looked and my Music leaves are also the greenest and tallest of all my varieties. I’ve just been walking through the patch and pulling grass that makes it’s way through the mulch without really paying attention to size of the garlic leaves.

1 Like

I don’t have anything to compare to, just music!

5 Likes

Here is my comparatively small patch of Music today. I was not here most of last year so no one dug it up or replanted. So there are certainly too many plants too close together - not really sure what to expect when I dig it in July. But the plants look nice for now, and I deep fried some green young garlic plants a month ago. They were delicious with salt on them.

5 Likes

I was unable to dig most of my music a few years ago. It was fine but small, hot too.

1 Like

Western Rose looks sick by comparison.image

mine are just peeking out in my raised beds. geogia fire. one of the hottest garlic I’ve eaten. good clove size too. romanian red is another hot one I’ve grown in the past. it also has good sized cloves. garlic loves compost. i plant them in the fall then put down about 3in. of partially composted chic manure. by spring the compost has all broken down and they grow like crazy. not as big and nice as Bryans but i suspect its the types of garlic, not the soil. i may have to try growing music. the store bought isn’t very good.

2 Likes