My First Jujube tree

Is that normal? Did you email or talk to them? I wonder if it’s better to put in the green house and then plant them in the spring next year?

Oh man… that’s sucks! I don’t think I have room for another tree. I wonder if it’s ok to grow them in pot?

My final thoughts:

1. You seem especially nervous about fall planting. So waiting until spring to plant is fine. But my experience in zone 7 Arkansas is that fall planting is best. The trees have all winter to settle in, and it’s off to the races in the spring. If you plant in the spring, don’t be surprised if you lose a bit of prime growing time as the tree adjusts to being transplanted.

2. Fishsauce’s tree is going to be fine.

3. Please search for “Jujube 2022” and you will find bobvance’s outstanding post about varieties he grows in Connecticut.

4. You can grow jujubes in pots. But I’m a firm believer that trees belong in the ground.

5. I cannot stress enough that fruit grafting is a skill that everyone can acquire. There are countless tutorials on YouTube.

Good luck and happy growing!

6 Likes

Not nervous. Just want to do the right way and learn from other’s mistakes. Will look into grafting. Sound interesting enough.

1 Like

Li is good.
If you grow them in pots they will do OK but you will have much smaller crops and have to water much more often.

1 Like

I also bought Honey Jar from EL. I have grafted Sugar Cane, Autumn Beauty, and Black Sea to it. I plan to add more varieties. You’ll be fine planting now, just mulch with wood chips about 3" deep on the surface of the planting hole and give it a deep watering after planting and it should be fine.

If you are interested in learning to graft, I highly recommend it. It’s lots of fun and very satisfying to see the results.

3 Likes

Thanks! Maybe I will add a Li.

Neat! Thanks for the beginning grafting guide. I will check it out.

1 Like

Li is good in that jujubes in general are good. As jujubes go though, I would put Li in the lower middle range. It is the most widely planted because it is very productive (when older only though), doesn’t need pollination, and has large fruit (faster to pick per pound). But the fruit is only average at best, in my experience so far. Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, Black Sea, Bing Tang, and Fuicuimi are all better. Even the 2nd tier (still very good, but not quite breaking into the top for various reasons) of Churchpoint, So, KFC, Confetti, Dong/Sandia, Mei Mi, and Maya/Massandra are better than Li. This year was a particularly bad year for Li in my area, with a large proportion softening on the trees before fully ripe.

4 Likes

You will likely to get the same result from people who live in the east coast. Bob is in CT. You are in MD. His suggestion would be what I would strongly consider if I were you.

Sugar Cane fruit is larger than Honey Jar. My Black Sea fruit are still small but jujube fruit could get better and larger from their first year fruiting.

1 Like

@disc4tw
If I were you, I would plant another jujubes and graft more varieties to that new tree. Honey Jar tastes very good you should have the whole tree of it :smile:

3 Likes

Maybe I will add a Li jujube tree then. Hopefully, it’s not too late to add Li to my honey jar order from edible. Will call them tomorrow since they don’t seem to reply to email. Thank you!

I took a look at EL’s site and while they are out of Sugar Cane, they do have So/Contorted in stock. I would go with So over Li, unless you really want a larger fruit-size (at the cost of texture). The other nice thing about Li, is that EL has it in larger sizes, 5gal and 7 gal, though those are a bit pricey. While they only have So in 3gal.

1 Like

I was thinking So too, but not sure if they will grow well in md or not. I think 3 gallons is fine. What about winter jujube? Have you grow them before? I am eating them right now, and they are just perfect, not too sweet and just right!

1 Like

I think So would grow fine in Md, as you aren’t that far from me in CT and So has been a solid producer here. It’s growth habit is a bit lower than most other jujubes, forming more of a large bush than a central leader tree. My 12 year old one is at least 10-12 feet in all 3 dimensions. Though I’m sure with some pruning you could make it into more of a vertical tree…I’m actually fine with this sort of structure, as it makes picking a easier.

I think “Winter” would just be another name for Dong. Sandia is an earlier-ripening version of Dong. I just picked my first Sandia yesterday.

Even though the Sandia are only half brown, their brix was around 30, so I don’t know that I would call them “not too sweet” :slight_smile:

Their texture is light and good, but they are a bit more crumbling than a hard crunch. So has more of a hard crunch and a more balanced flavor (with the late-season So having a good sweet-tart). Both are good- just a matter of taste. Dong is about a week later than Sandia, so you could finding yourself picking them yellow in some years, which I may be doing in the next few days. Even in their blond state though they have enough brix to be worth eating.

But, I didn’t see any Winter/Dong/Sandia at EL. One of the few places you can get them is from ChineseRedDate.com.

4 Likes

Wow! There are just so many varieties to pick. It’s so hard to choose. Too bad I don’t have space in my backyard for them. I was thinking growing them in pot, but they are much better in the ground. How many jujube trees do you have?

I guess we have to email the vendor @ Chinese Red date for pricing since they don’t list them directly on their site huh? I wonder if their shipping is expensive as well.

Last time I ordered from them (last spring), it was $55 shipping per box. I got 6 trees that time, so it was 2 boxes. I’ve ordered from them at least 3 times over the years.

1 Like

I have one other planted and gifted one to the neighbor next door. I’ll probably find room for one more. They seem to do alright in sunny former driveway locations and I have those available.

2 Likes

Bob,
I called edible today, and the guy on the phone was like. Honey jar trees are self-fertile. You don’t need to get another tree. Not sure if he knew what he is talk about, I added Li to the same order just to be sure. At first, I was going to add SO, but I want different sizes of fruits so I changed my mind and added Li to the same order. He said he only guarantees 90 days, but these trees will survive the cold . :slight_smile: fingers crossed! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like