My peaches are gross!

You can do crisp and cobbler. Chop’em up and put them in pancakes. Make compote to put over anything(pancakes, French toast, ice cream…). They will at least be useable. Or…maybe you could do some peach vinegar or something along that line.
It was a funny year. The best I bought were Palisades from King Soopers actually. The flat we got from the farmer was meh. The last ones I bought from the store were like yours. The best I got were from my neighbor and a few from another who has a friend who has an orchard. The ones from the neighbors friend were fabulous, they almost tasted like mangos. I saved the pit from the best one I had, contemplating whether it would come out like the parent or not. She is out of town, but will check with her friend for me to know the variety. She thinks it’s Hale, but not 100% on it. I might also check on getting some scion. She says every year the best peaches are the ones from her friend.

One thing that I don’t think was mentioned yet in this thread (but perhaps I missed it?) is that late season peaches are firmer by nature and less juicy by nature. Late season peaches shouldn’t be dry, but I’ve never eaten a late season peach which the juice runs down my arm, like a mid or early season peach.

The flesh is just much denser for late season peaches (sort of like TangOs peaches except not as rubbery/chewy as TangOs). We continually have to explain this to our customers with late season peaches. Some customers will think late season peaches aren’t ripe because they still feel a little bit firm. They will leave them on the counter to ripen further, and then let them get over-ripe.

The nice thing about late season peaches, is that they generally can/freeze the best, and make the best pies. The dense flesh doesn’t break down as easily from heat or freezing.

Just as an FYI, there is no Starhaven peach. There is a Redstar peach, a Redhaven peach, a Starfire peach, which all ripen at the same time, but no Starhaven peach.

5 Likes

Is that they are there late in the season. The first peaches of the season don’t have the luscious quality of a great midseason peach either. FlavorMay is at least full flavored.

1 Like

Mark,
I am surprised to hear that late peaches in KS are dense and not juicy. My late peaches’s taste and texture are very similar to the early ripening peaches including Red Haven, John Boy and Harmony I bought from PA in August. July and not dense (not quite melting).

I wonder whether the difference between your hotter and drier weather and my not as hot and wetter weather is what makes the difference.

2 Likes

My experience matches Mark’s.

1 Like

It could have a bit of a climate difference, as well as varietal difference. The difference is somewhat subtle for some peaches, not so much for other varieties.

Probably one of the more stark differences, would be comparing a peach like, say, Redhaven to Victoria. Redhaven, when it’s dead ripe will bruise very easily, even just from picking, unless one is very careful. You have to eat those over the sink, or it will be down the front of your clothes.

Victoria is much less juicy when full ripe. The flesh is finer and denser. The peach will never get as soft as a Redhaven, even when fully ripe. We have to use a lot more thumb pressure to make a small indentation in a late season peach like Victoria vs. something like Redhaven.

4 Likes

Some small good news- thanks to the suggestions here we spent yesterday making cobbler, vinegar and freezer jam. We made a test cobbler with a mix of grainy and very firm peaches. Taste testing on the way we ended up adding 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar (our peaches are usually soo sweet we ad zero sugar). It was good! Solid 7 out of 10 on taste and texture. Made three more and gave them to the neighbors who all loved it. Gave them a bunch of peaaches to make their own. We are brewing 4 gallons of vinegar, and we froze several gallons of peaches labeled for cooking.

Not amazing but not a tear inducing loss after all.

5 Likes

I probably am fortunate that my PF 24 C and Autumn Star don’t have this obvious issue. I just ate an AS at lunch today. It was not running down my arm juicy but I needed paper towel to clean juice off my hand :smile:

3 Likes

Autumn star falls somewhere in between. It is what I consider the beginning of late season. Tasted it for the first time this year- huge for such a late and it was pretty juicy, but was finished 3 weeks ago.

In a few more seasons my appraisal will carry more weight. We had unusually dry, all blue sky days during the last half of summer. Any stone fruit without a majority of split pits was very good this year.

1 Like

I could pick all my AS by Oct for a very firm ripe condition. I prefer my peaches a bit riper.

My AS has fruited for me for at least 5 years. It has been consistently good (except for one year when brown rot wiped out all peach crop). This year they were better than 24 C. Some years, 24 C were better.

I am happy with both but they are late season peaches. I’ve grafted other varieties that will ripen earlier.

2 Likes