My worst enemy

Is that because they get shot

4 Likes

@marknmt … i have new neighbor’s… about a half mile down the road from me. Their two dogs were allowed to run free… and found their way to my house…

They were doing some things… i did not agree with… and i texted them and recommended the invisible fence (really and in a nice way)… that included a pic of a nice hot steamy pile of dog poop.

He replied that they would take care of it… and I have not seen the dogs again.

Worked out nicely for me. Worth a try if you know the owner.

6 Likes

Free-ranging dogs aren’t a problem here anymore, but at least when they did run free we didn’t have the whitetail problem we have now!

I have mixed feelings about the two-three neighborhood cats that like our yard. I’m sure they keep the small rodent population down, but they also prey on birds, and there is the poop-in-the-garden issue. I like it if they patrol our garage because I don’t want mice taking up residence in the car that’s in there.

2 Likes

In the US alone it’s estimated cats kill over a billion birds a year…

6 Likes

I’d bet human activity kills more…

4 Likes

What the astroid didn’t finish we are trying.

Poor dinosaurs.

4 Likes

And succeeding! :sauropod:

4 Likes

Try motion activated sprinklers. Harmless and just irritates them enough to go away.

6 Likes

A customer had recommended this motion activated sprinkler to me. I haven’t yet done the research to identify it but he has pretty high deer pressure that he is trying to counter.

Edit: it is an Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer.

7 Likes

The reviews on Amazon seem very poor for that unit, (16% rated it at 1*). I generally try to avoid buying anything from Amazon that has more than 5% one star rating. YMMV. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I know, I read the same thing. That is a crazy number, isn’t it? I can attest to the fact I had a few neighbor’s cats roaming around my bird feeders waiting for some to land on the ground. I would always see different feathers on the ground.

1 Like

And don’t even get a notion of trying ‘TEMU’…as the Chinese are trying to eliminate Amazon and selling their junk cheaper than Amazon. Lots of people gullible.

3 Likes

Amazon is just as dirty as Temu and A sells the same made in china junk as temu

5 Likes

We had a large orange cat that made our deck its home.

I scared it away by accident by blasting a leaf blower into the garden hose hatch, and orange cat sprang up from that opening. Never saw it again.

Scaring this cat is something I regret. Next year I had a woodchuck body slamming my garden fence to go at my green beans and kale.

Having a cat, even a neighbor’s cat, is of benefit in rabbit and even woodchuck control.

5 Likes

I cannot speak for the product itself, but I do have two things to offer: there is a slightly different model number (still from Orbit, and only 11% of those reviews are one star) which our venerable host has used a quantity of, and he might have something to offer up on the product. The other is that I have observed that product reviews on Amazon tend to be skewed on the negative end of the scale due to people being more inclined to give feedback when they had a negative experience instead of a positive one.

Said in reference to this post, whose Amazon link goes to the Orbit 62100, not the 62100Z.

2 Likes

Yes that sprinkler was pretty reliable for me. Unfortunately the deer learned to adapt to them. If protecting a small area I bet they would work but I had a whole yard.

3 Likes

I found that cedar waxwings are so determined to get honeyberries that they would sit right next to scare balloons, CDs, or streamers. I could approach them within a couple feet waving my arms before they would fly a short distance. I can wave my arms and yell at deer in my yard, and they often just stand and look at me. I don’t even consider buying any scare devices. Strictly nets or fences for me.

4 Likes

Hey everybody, come over here, that crazy human is providing free entertainment!

It has been my experience that a rifle tends to eliminate “stand and look” deer from the breeding population.

5 Likes

Or a crossbow if you aren’t able to use a gun!

1 Like

Orbit … Yard Enforcer… in use vid.

3 Likes