2 Likes

Wasp?

https://images.app.goo.gl/nfYZYVGaVbKto4yM8

1 Like

Tomato hornworm?

2 Likes

I’ve always blamed birds myself.

2 Likes

Has it been dry there? If so, I’d go with thirsty bird. It looks too deep to me for most rodents, but a bird pecking would do that easily.

1 Like

Corn ear worm ?
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/insects/caterpillars/tomato-fruitworm-corn-earworm.aspx

1 Like

I’ll go with wasps, followed by bees. That is, wasps puncture, and bees use the puncture to go crazy?

1 Like

Never saw been in a tomato before, except for yellow jackets. A bird, maybe.

1 Like

Good point. Don’t know about that one.

1 Like

Bees. Sorry the typo.

2 Likes

I didn’t know wasp did that either. I lost an entire plant with some very nice tomatoes this year. I sent pictures to a good farmer friend and he identified my problem as wasps. They started like that picture posted. I watched for awhile and saw them do it. Very odd to me. But true.

3 Likes

By itself and at that size, I’d say bird. But if there are larger holes with the sharp edges like these, I’d consider a rather strange animal you probably haven’t thought about…a TURTLE! I’ve had turtles show up in my gardens several times over the years . Box turtles. They make holes with V-shaped edges similar to the one shown, but usually eat more than one bite and usually take bites out of several tomatoes. But worth considering is you get more holes like that one. OH…and they usually feed at night so just because you haven’t seen one doesn’t mean he isn’t coming in for a meal sometimes

2 Likes

yellow jackets like to eat holes in soft fruit , like strawberries here.

1 Like

Jerks …lol

1 Like

Corn earworm / tomato fruitworm does exactly this. They mostly eat green tomatoes but will eat riper ones too. I’ve had a bunch of these on my tomatoes recently and many times I’ve found them halfway inside a green tomato.
Here’s a previous thread on them: About Tomato Fruitworms

1 Like

That is bird pecked. You can see chunks missing and it is at beak depth. Seen plenty of that.

3 Likes