Name your 30 best American persimmons

The six (6) I want to trial are on your list:

Claypool H120 (smooth juicy flavor)
Garretson (flavor… precocious… very cold-hardy)
Early Golden (already have… very cold-hardy)
Lena/Mitchellena (the one they use in pulp processing for persimmon pudding)
Lehman’s Delight 100-46 (flavor… precocious)
Meader (rum raisin… cold-hardy champ)

5 Likes

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania

Very nice list! We will find them!

@SMC_zone6

How do you rate L 104 several years later?

@snowflake

Cold hardiness of some of these could be a factor. I know you have tested hardiness of persimmons and had some that were dissapointing. Do the 30 i picked look fairly hardy?

1 Like

I think they should all be nicely hardy in your location. I don’t know enough about Meyers though. Most all true D.V. should be good to -35F ish. When I hit -30ish a few years ago, I got some severe damage on young grafts, but I mostly didn’t lose any trees as they at least all regrew from somewhere above the grafts. Any hardiness issues for me might be related to trees not hardening off soon enough in the fall causing burn back on smaller wood, or waking up too early in the spring (I haven’t had issues with that on true D.V. yet).

I suspect that the fall burn is the main issues that I see. Geneva Long seems to get that each year although John Gordon had that as a recommended one for the north country, so maybe my rootstock is having issues, but I don’t know.

4 Likes

@snowflake

There is some speculation that Geneva long could actually be a hybrid. That would explain a lot.

1 Like

By hybrid, you mean interspecies hybrid?

1 Like

@Richard according to American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) – The Fruit Nut

Geneva Long cross section. One of John Gordon’s top five recommended varieties. Possibly a virginiana X kaki hybrid.

10363018333_f1365f1169_o
Just for reference (not my photos)

@Barkslip did a good job of documenting persimmons here when he was at Jerry Lehmans orchard Jerry Lehman's Orchard Fall 2017 . I’m very specifically trying to seperate american from the crossed hybrids of kaki x american cold hardy hybrids in this thread Hybrid Persimmons that are reportedly cold hardy

6 Likes

Lena and Morris B. were both stellar. Definitely deserving.

C-100 is a dud. Cliff showed me the tree and described it as “living up to the opposite of the hype” - it was a small fruit, tasty, nothing to write home about.

Meader is smallish, but the flavor is quite good.

I’d have to pick H63a and Lehman’s Delight as being in my personal top 2. H-63a is something special.
Lehman’s U20A / Celebrity is also in my top 10 alongside those two.

Yates/Juhl can be bland some years, I find it doesn’t get the full rum/caramel flavor profile on a lot of it’s fruit – though often the ones at the top of the tree do have it. I don’t include it in my top 10

Prok is problematic in that it is somewhat insipid and my tree, some 11 years old now, seems to be finicky about holding its fruit. Big fruit.

Elmo is fantastic; Dollywood is fantastic

Claypool H-120 is excellent, better than H-118 / Early Jewel

7 Likes

I think it’s just another D.V… From John Gordon in Ontario:

In a cool season usually only Dickie, NC-10, Yates, and Geneva Long ripen full crops. Persimmon blooms late enough for bloom to escape late spring frost, however frost injury to foliage is often a spreader of persimmon black spot on foliage and fruit. Geneva Long is the most commercial, completing the season large, firm, ripe; the best at ripening in-doors. All benefit from days after-ripening indoors. Geneva Red is high flavor late-ripe persimmon.

Geneva Long is unusual because its fruit looks and tastes like a semi-oriental persimmon. It is the only native persimmon that can be recommended for fruit stand sales because it retains texture after ripe for about a week. Even yellow-green, Geneva Long has a not-too-astringent a fruit. It is mid October ripening. The fruit retains texture so it can be sectioned like a tomato to be put in a salad/desert.

5 Likes

What varieties would you say has those flavors the strongest. I like those better than the standard apricot like flavor and I’m trying to find all the varieties that have it.

1 Like

I had Geneva Long for years. Nothing about it suggested any kaki influence, to me. Larger fruit than NC-10, but less flavorful. Still… a good persimmon.

2 Likes

I don’t have 30 persimmons. But the 4 I do have I’ve named:
Eisenhour,
Nixon,
Reagan,
Trump

All likely seedlings from big heavy bearing feral tree across the road.
Eisenhour and Reagan taste great but are pretty small.
Nixon had first fruit but squirrels got it.
Trump … could be all male, or maybe he just needs more time to bear fruits.

Dried persimmons are tasty.

3 Likes

Yates appears twice in the list (?)

I added “Claypool” in front of the numbered selections (please correct where wrong) and there were two listings that rank flavor in the other threads.

Claypool A118, Elmo , , |
Claypool A33, Prarie Sun , , |
Claypool F-25, Prairie Gem , , |
Claypool H 120 , , |
Claypool H 63A , ,A+,+ |
Claypool H-55A, Prairie Dawn , , |
Claypool H118, Prarie Star, aka Early Jewell , , |
Claypool H91A , , |
Claypool I-94 Valene Beauty , , |
Dollywood D128 , + , |
Early Golden , , |
Garretson , , |
Geneva long , , |
Korp , , |
Lehman 100-42 , + ,A |
Lehman 100-43 , + ,B |
Lehman 100-45 , + ,A-/B+|
Lehman 100-46, Lehman’s Delight , + ,A,+ |
Lehman 100-47 , , |
Lehman, Barbara’s Blush WS8-10 , , |
Lena , ,A |
Meader , ,+ |
Meyers , , |
Mohler , , ,+|
Morris Burton, , A,+ |
Prok , + ,A |
Ruby , , |
Szukis , , |
U20A / Celebrity , , |
Weber , , |
Yates /juhl , , |

1. Outstanding Cultivars – Best Persimmon
  2. Who’s Growing Improved American Persimmons? Suggestions welcome! , 258/391
  3. This topic, 35/36
3 Likes

@ansayre

Updated to Morris Burton which was missing. Sounds like U20A / Celebrity may need to replace c100. I know deer magnet is second to none for deer , but im not sure about how well people love deer magnet Deer Magnet Persimmon (Late Drop) – Chestnut Hill Outdoors @zendog posted this link which was an eye opener for me

1 Like

In my location, only if they like rock hard unripe fruit :slight_smile:

The only selling point of it here is that it has never experienced any tip burn back from winter damaged.

2 Likes

I had a different take on C-100. I don’t know what the hype is or isn’t with it, but I thought it was good and a bit different than others I had during my trip to England’s. I wouldn’t classify it as a dud. Along with the typical persimmon taste, I got a pumpkin taste with it. My daughter said she tasted some caramel. It was fairly small though. I can’t remember if it was seedless or not.

3 Likes

How does everyone like wonderful?

1 Like

I think you’ve mixed up a few Lehman selections as Claypool.

2 Likes

Morris Burton… is not impressive size wise… smallish… but excells at retaining good flavor when frozen for storage. That is what i learned from others here this year about MB.

Many americans do not retain flavor well or long enough when frozen. A few do.

My experience with wild DV here in TN… they loose flavor when cooked, frozen and even when dehydrated.

Dehydrated they retain a hard candy type nice sweetness… a little flavor… but much reduced from fresh fruit flavor.

Fresh fruit wise… persimmons and figs are top 2 for me. Hard to say which is best.

But dehydrated figs are 10x better than dehydrated presimmon pulp.

5 Likes

@TNHunter

Early golden is excellent fresh. I like that it is early. I will need to get some that ripen up later and hang awhile.

1 Like

I’m sure many people recognize this but Geneva Long is very different from Geneva Red.
The thread referenced earlier (mine) spoke about Geneva Red, supposedly a wonderful early persimmon. Geneva Long gets mixed reviews.

2 Likes