NE orchard report

http://neladders.com/dealer-locator/

The ladders that Peaceful Valley sells are “Super Duty”, not Hasegawa.

1 Like

Their locator is useless for me, I had to point to a location and keep adjusting to find anything nearby. When I posted my ZIP it directed me to a dealer 300 miles away when there is one about 15 I found by pointing. They need someone to do some work on their site. My son could probably fix it in about an hour.

I put my town in the “your location” search feature, it showed the nearest dealer, only 15 minutes away.

1 Like

In Plymouth Massachusetts. Morrison’s, they fix mowers sell commercial landscape products to landscapers and homeowners. I think it was over three hundred dollars.

1 Like

Is the one in @Johnthecook photo above a Hasegawa? Is the Hasegawa better than the Super Duty? and why?

Thanks for the link, it led me to a few local stores.

Apples are finally blooming here. At least a third of my varieties have little to no flowers. I’m not sure why, since the majority of them had a light crop last year. There was a spring drought here last year, up until mid July, that might have affected bud development. Of course that doesn’t explain why others have a normal full bloom.

I never have to thin mine. A third of the clusters don’t set. The rest only set 1 or 2 per cluster. I’m not sure what is going on, but it must have something to do with my location. Empire sets disappointingly less, despite full bloom every year.

Three years don’t seem that long, unless it is a dwarf roostsock. Woodpeckers and apple borers helped get mine into production. It spurred up so much that I couldn’t even get graft wood off it for years. Couple years ago I thinned spurs. Now I have 16"-20" of new tip growth from last year.

1 Like

It is probably a M111, judging by the burr knots on it. When I bought it, it was supposedly M7, but lack of root suckers and burr knots belie that. It got a bit of rabbit damage this winter down low on the trunk, but think it will be OK.

My orchard only has a few apple trees with enough blossoms for me not to want to spray, so I headed south with my sprayer early expecting to spend the day spraying. The first site I went to just had too many trees with lots of flowers, so I went to a second site that was at least 5 days ahead of me last time I was there. Same story- late apples still attractive to pollinators.

So I said to my helper, yipee, I don’t have to spray today. Let’s go do some grafting.

And that’s what I did today. Last year I grafted plums at some sites very late, and they mostly failed to take. I expect better results from my efforts today.

Today is the first day that high temp in my area will hit 70F and it will last until Mon. I am excited because warm, sunny and Saturday has not coincided since the beginning of this spring.

I hope this warm period will help my grafts developed. Several grafts look like they are taking but development has been very slow due to lack of heat.

2 Likes

A couple of apple grafts that I got the wood from ACN trees I received this season, (therefore the wood was less dormant) have started pushing leaves.

Given that late apples still have some blooms here, it is now officially a late spring, even though it started at about the average date, unlike last year when it was about a week later. Now we are probably at the same point we were this date last year.

I’m planning on throwing up a few peach grafts today. Tomorrow I spray, starting with my orchard first thing in the morning. I hope my 4 stroke, 4 hp Honda motor doesn’t disturb the neighbors. Hopefully they close their windows before they go to sleep.

In early spring with temps 40s and low 50s there were only some bumblebees working. With rain and wind even they didn’t come out some days. An early flowering plum only has one fruit on it. One that flowered a week later, when wind and rain was lighter, has at least a hundred thanks to the bumblebees. At least my area only had a few freeze days in upper 20s and hot days were only lower 70s so everything is healthy and peaches, pears and apples where well pollinated.

2 Likes

Sunny and apples are in full bloom. If that weather had kept going I’d have very few apples. Bees are working over time right now. They deserve a raise😬

2 Likes

Ahmad I only let my Tall Spindle get 10 feet high, but with this ladder I could let them go to 12 and still comfortably prune, pick or thin my apple trees on this ladder. This is my first time with it, but it’s great. This is the top of my trees and I still have a step to go and I’m 6 foot 2, 250 and I’m comfortable.

2 Likes

Alan,
We talked about when to graft plums before. I’ve grafted plums early ( for our climate) for the past 4 years with a very high take rate.

Although we have had cold and wet spring in April, I grafted plums and pluots on April 20-21 when it was not raining. No issue.

Spring Satin

And Cambridge Gage.

3 Likes

And because of your advice, I grafted J. plum with apples, as soon as I had time to graft, which was a couple weeks ago. The year before I tried E. plums even earlier with dismal results.

Agree. I have a small bee pasture which provides that early bump of food with dandelions and creeping charlie
I have a totally unsubstantiated idea that if i feed my resident bumbles (they live under the front steps) they will not travel far afield and bring home nasty things like fireblight.

Quick update. I saw my first plum curculio of the season on an apple tree today. Now the battle begins! Anyone ever try spinosad for PC control?

Weather, one day of sun then rain for days. This is sucking.

3 Likes

Yeah, you seem to be getting all the storms. Some of them are missing us and we are getting decent sun now down here in S. NY and my seasonal entertainment of watching my balls grow is in full swing.

What’s interesting is the balls that haven’t. Most of my nectarines have fruitletts that started growing normally but then stopped. When I cut them open they appear to have been pollinated with a white seed between the forming shell.

I’ve seen this before, but it was after a late hard frost, which we certainly didn’t have this year. I suspect it is the result of the cool wet weather this time.

If I don’t remove them, they will hold onto the tree until other fruit is almost ripe and start to rot, spreading brown rot throughout the tree if I let it happen. I won’t- I love my nectarines and need every single one of them to get through winter with enough frozen ones.

2 Likes

With all the early crappy weather we had I have to report that my apple harvest has been really good. No real disappointments except for my Winesap tree didn’t give me any apples this year. I did have some fruit drop with my two Mac trees, but still harvested over a hundred apples. I have moved about ten trees in the past year and a half so they aren’t producing much, but all survived. I hope your harvests have been bountiful!

1 Like