Need good looking rabbit barrier

Ground hogs also climb.

@Vlad

I’m joking but not joking with my suggestion but it’s the best rabbit barrier of all Adopt | Straydog

3 Likes

Here is a nice looking fence, extentions also available to buy separately. Too bad they don’t ship to Canada, I would buy it if they did: Tall Chicken Wire Critter Fence | Gardener's Supply

Or use it as backing on a picket fence. A trick we use here is to put hardware cloth flat on the ground as well 8-12" and use zip ties to connect it to the vertical fencing… keeps them from tunneling under

1 Like

PVC coated chicken wire looks a lot better but it’s more expensive

1 Like

Have you thought about making your own fencing by recycling pallets? Most are 4’ tall, you could chop them in half, line them up and screw them together, and either seal them or paint them or leave as is and place on bricks or concrete block in ground so the bottom doesn’t rot as quickly. Plenty of places offer free pallets and it wouldn’t take a lot of effort to put them together. I’d honestly check pinterest for ideas, it’s amazing what people do with old pallets. For the trees, get some of those upside down cones maybe, or find some scrap plastic sheets or metal if you have access and make some yourself?

2 Likes

Cool find. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This thread says it all on rabbits Living with the cottontail and growing fruit
See this
The last thing an orchard pest wishes it would have saw sooner!
My friends dog looking sweet

His angry face
50E30DC2-5C09-4451-9716-1C0722691142
That’s my door he was protecting and part of the time he thought he was my dog. His former master was over at my house a lot before and after he died. When the man died he would come and stay and wait for him to come here. Sometimes he stayed overnight or stayed around days. Eventually the man’s wife died and his son came here and took the dog the dog to live with him.

3 Likes

I have two dogs but cannot leave them out in the yard because it is not fenced in.

1 Like

@Vlad

Have you considered a wood privacy fence? Another thing is I find it very odd how your rabbits are behaving could they be starving? Is there snow on the ground? Could it be voles doing the damage your speaking of? They are much more likely than rabbits to act that way.

There is no snow on the ground.
They have also gnawed on my potted fig trees and bit off branches 1/4" to 3/8" diameter.
I do not think it is voles because the gnaw marks are too big and small branches have been bitten off.

1 Like

Rabbits ate my 11 blueberry shrubs to the ground. So, not to let them eat my Carmine Jewel sour cherries and Cornus Mass I installed these trellis around them and attached netting tho the trellis

and . Now building fence from 1/2" pvc pipes for my blueberry bed when I finish building will paint it in black and attach black netting there as well. Not sure if it is nice enough :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You can use cattle panels but use a smaller wire on the inside. They can be used for fencing or greenhouses or whatever your imagination is the only limitation. You can see what I did I this thread Cattle Panel Hoophouse Greenhouse

Using pipes around individual trees is pretty effective against rabbits

c210474908944e59df788ecacc2cf0aab9c3ebef.jpeg
dc98190e9f5a9708bba19ac976c009482a75d060.jpeg

3 Likes

I’m currently looking at making a woven willow dome for my baby pawpaw trees, and stapling shadecloth inside, with wire mesh against critters. It’ll all go over the Stark Bros donut irrigator (Which will hopefully also keep out weeds).

I have no idea how well it’ll work, but I’m going to jump in anyway.

I’m learning the basics of willow weaving from these videos:

@jcguarneri forsythia, you say? :exploding_head: That’s brilliant.

2 Likes

You’ll have plenty of willows to work with in the near future :wink:

1 Like

Hopefully! The ground is rock solid so I’ve got the pussy willow cuttings in water, waiting for a thaw.

1 Like

You can get 1" welded wire (aka hardware cloth) that has a black coating. I have used it for a lot of stuff in my yard, including my chicken coop and cat patio. And I don’t think there is anyone more picky about how stuff looks than me, LOL.

2 Likes

I have used Plantskydd which is bovine and swine blood. It worked for deer and rabbits. Rabbits do not like dogs. If you could walk your dogs around the plants once a day if male. It should help.

I posted this pic a while back on another thread. Had rabbit and vole problems until I build this fence from black PVC-coated hex mesh fencing and 6’ heavy-duty T-posts. The gate (on the far side at right) is a 4’ high x 3’ wide dog fence with the side posts anchored in concrete. The hex mesh fencing was a roll 6’ x 150’, with about 8” doubled-over (to reduce the effective mesh openings from 1“ to 1/2”) and pushed into a (laboriously!) hand-dug channel to keep the voles out.

It was a lot of work, but it works, and it’s not unsightly. But if I’d had the money, I’d have used a small ditch witch for the channel.

1 Like

To shade my young pawpaw trees, I used willow and wove a garden obelisk, and lined it with shade cloth. (I’m in a manicured suburb and don’t want my neighbors hating me.) I’m going to wrap the trunks with those white coiled trunk guards (for sun and rodent gnawing). I’m thinking of lining the bottom of the obelisks with wire mesh.

I have more willows on the way from Etsy, and hopefully the next 3 obelisks take way less time - I had to undo and redo a lot.

3 Likes