Need some asparagus knowledge

Buy one of the all male varieties if you can. The spears are larger, and you won’t have problems with volunteers. In asparagus beds, volunteers are the worst weeds.

2 Likes

When I grew it, the seedlings never amounted to anything, never produced decent crowns. I concur with getting the all-male varieties. The seeds if you get them are quite visible, makes them easy to remove if they show up.

2 Likes

I had a similar experience with Jersey Giant from Simmons. Supposed to be males but half ended up being female and I pulled them up. Just bad luck I guess. Ordering more this year to fill in.

I’m no expert by any means on this, but I dont mind a few females in my beds. Growing from seed opens up some options. For instance I grew Conover’s Colossal from seed last year and by the end of the summer they looked as good or better than some store bought crowns of M.W. and J.K. When I collect seed from females in my beds I can grow out new seedlings at my leisure and expand into new beds or give free plants away whenever I want. The seedlings might not be as productive as the all male hybrids, but you can just plant more plants if you have the space. All of what I said goes out the window if you’re growing to sell or are trying to squeeze the most out of a small garden.

1 Like

I started my plants from seed, but it will set you back a year or two. I got my seed off ebay.