Neem Oil as a Fungicide and Insecticide

The one Bonide fungicide and insecticide combination spray I had been using changed formulations this year. Instead of captan it changed over to neem oil. Has anyone been using neem oil as an insecticide and fungicide? If so what results have you experienced using neem oil throughout the growing season?
I have tried finding some old bottles of this spray before the switchover formula. I found a couple but I need to either find more older bottles, find another fungicide and insecticide to use, use the new version, or use neem oil as my fungicide and insecticide.
I use another Bonide spray for 4 or 5 spray treatments ( as stated on the label) so the other seasonal spray treatments need to be another product.
I appreciate your input and advice.
Thank you.

some folks on here like wiki

So maybe your answers are on wiki?

Also it states how harmful it is to humans like causing seizures, kidney failure, brain problems…also getting it on your skin can cause dermatitis… not good to feed to your children either.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I used it recently on cucumber and tomato plants to help stave off fungus after prolonged heavy rain and hot temps. It has been working very well, to my surprise.

Honestly it was the only thing I could get my hands on quickly that was listed as safe for vegetables and organic.

1 Like

I don’t think Neem works as a fungicide or insecticide for the main pests and diseases that will attack your trees. It appear to be labelled for only a few things that might cause damage- white flies, aphids and mites. There are a lot of claims that it works for everything but little hard data.

You might look at this thread which covers Neem oil.

1 Like

It depends on the target bug. I had issues with haskap cuttings, indoors, developing inch worms that were doing a number on the tender new growth, their eggs were obviously overwintering on the wood itself. A quick dunk of the cuttings in a weak Neem oil solution cures that. I can also spot when sawflies lay their eggs on currants and the like, a quick spray at the right time stops them from hatching.

1 Like

I can read stuff online all day long. I am asking here because I want read life feedback instead. The info on wiki can be manipulated. Again, I prefer real like experiences from people here instead.

1 Like

From what I read on the Bonide site I agree with you about worrying about it not being an effective insecticide and fungicide. It does list coding moth as something it is effective against. At least on the label it does.
Thanks for the thread link. I tried looking through some old threads here before posting my request.

1 Like

That possibility is blown waaaaaay out of proportion.

Interestingly enough, when some ongoing breaking news happen in the world that I want to track I completely stop looking at the news and rely on Wikipedia to keep me up to date; the news would just regurgitate the same info over and over and over in the most alarmist way possible, their main goal in life is to keep me glued to advertisements. Wikipedia simply updates the facts as known. Even during January 6th they managed to just distill what was known at any given time.

2 Likes

I just returned home after a week vacation. Apparently it rained almost every day with temps in high 80s and not much less at night. Usually with this weather my cucumbers and tomatoes are filled with yellowed rotting leaves and poor fruit. Sometimes vines are starting to decline by July and harvest is poor.

I was surprised to return to almost spotless leaves. No noticable insect or borer damage. I admit to cutting off more leaves than usual to improve circulation, but my biggest change was that I combined that with a neem spray product. Picked a large bagful of cukes. Bees were so prevalent I had to use some care reaching into the vines.

I think I mentioned that I would never have chosen that intentionally but shelves were almost bare at my local co-op. I felt I needed to get something on the plants before leaving. I don’t usually like spraying insecticide or fungicide on vegetables and I opted for a more “organic” labeled product.

Tomatoes were likewise clear. Almost no mildew or yellow leaves. Sadly very few ripe tomatoes but plenty of green ones. It seems like it was a pretty cloudy week. Like with cucumbers, spray did not seem to affect bees or pollination whatsoever.

For me the proofs in the pudding. I’m adding it to my summer gardening regimen.

My use on fruit trees has been limited to dormant spray and trunk treatment for borers. I have had significant foliar damage on pears especially in the past so I shy away from it. It’s not particularly easy to prepare and can be expensive. Now I’m wondering if I should reconsider.

1 Like