New Asian Pear Growth Stopped

I’m going to hit my tree with some liquid fertilizer this coming week to wake it up, hopefully. That should point at the issue if it does respond.

I’ll have to admit I read your reply at 2 AM and in my half awake state was trying to decide to either laugh at what might have been a euphemism for peeing in your garden or waking up enough to look up how to make urea from human urine.

Happy growing.

1 Like

Euphemism and humor :slight_smile:

1 Like

So between fertilizing, watering, and adding a bit more soil (some roots were exposed probably exacerbating the sucker issue), I am seeing some new growth on my 3-on-1 pear. One long shoot on my least vigorous graft, thankfully. Just spent some time jetting off the plethora of aphids from all the new growth spots. Too hot at the moment to spray neem.

And funnily enough I got another pear to germinate, this last one a few months after the first two. A single bloom on each of the three varieties yielded a pear for each of the three varieties (the first two bloomed together). I find that fascinating and humorous.

Now I know a perfect flower (the late bloom) pollinates itself. The last bloom on the Hosui had no other blooms anywhere on the tree or the neighborhood, so it did the pollination job by all the ants that were farming the aphids.

I always wondered if self-fertile or semi-fertile trees pollinated just between different blooms on the same tree or from perfect flowers onto themselves. It’s probably a combination as I don’t know if said trees produce all perfect flowers.

2 Likes

Good that you got some more growth again in another flush. Mine stopped putting out growing tips except the Dasui Li Pear, is described as a hybrid and extremely vigorous.

The rest of the asian pears put about 1.5-2.0 ft of growth in first flush, are are about to have a second flush soon. You area ahead of me in the season, so I think what we’re observing about asian pears is normal.

1 Like

I only have one other pear tree and honestly I don’t remember how it grew the first few years.

I’m probably projecting my expectations based on stone fruit trees I am growing. For instance my Flavor Grenade Pluot put on 4-5 feet of growth on each branch the first year in the ground here…with no soil amendments at all. This second year I pruned the main branches back 3 feet and each now has out our 4-5 laterals, the longest already 3+ feet

Yes in southern Louisiana the growing season started at the beginning of March.

2 Likes

My Flavor Supreme I essentially cut back into a stump at 2nd leaf due to severe deer damage, and it still put out 6+ ft of growth on 6 separate branches.

2 Likes

Update:

So I ended up picking the single Shinseiki pear. It’s small which is not unexpected on such a small tree. It came off when I lifted it a bit. Underripe so not very sweet with a bit it an astringent aftertaste. I have been lifting it to see if it separated for a while now so I may well have weakened the stem.

It will be nice in a few years when I can comfortably pick one to test and still have many left on the tree.

Also I’ve gotten good new growth as this was the genesis of this thread in the beginning.

I was getting suckering on the tree and noticed some of the roots had become exposed from soil settling. I added soil and a liquid fertilizer and that did the job. New growth and no more suckers.

I suspect exposing the rootstock roots to air lead to the suckering.

3 Likes

My single Hosui pear is getting incrementally larger. I’ve been trying to read up on ripening dates, but those will be misleading since they will be from a different climate than mine. I’ve heard they stay on the tree weeks after ripening so I’ll be patient.

Love the russet on the skin. No sign of insect damage.

This little tree… I’m glad I let this single bloom continue to a fruit.

Also with the late growth spurt, the tree has added some new leaves. Impressive how large the leaves can get.

I’m also happy to say the new growth has not attracted any aphids. Is it late in the year for them here? Considering earlier this summer there were loads of aphids I’m surprised there are none now.

1 Like

OK, I stand corrected. Sitting…I’m…I’m sitting…

The hosui measures 2.75" across and from what I read now and a few videos, this is about the fully sized fruit.

Now I’m anxious to pick it…

Must…wait…longer…

1 Like

If it’s hosui, wait till the color turns orange-ish or copper-ish.

Thanks…though without something to compare it to, those colors can be quite subjective.

You will notice when the green turns to orangeish

1 Like

I took a similar picture.

1 Like

Though the pear tree isn’t necessarily the best naturally shaped tree, the leaves are very nice, big, and glossy.

Also I find it interesting that the caliper of new growth is so thick…

Seems to me plum is the thinnest, then apple, then pear. At least Asian pear.

Oh…and fig is pretty stout too.

My Hosui is that size but I think they are still growing until fall here.

This ‘spring’ started in late February here this year. I hit the 80’s the whole last week of February then has a 27 degree morning March 20th.

Anyway the growing season is freaking long here so everything finishes earlier than most folks.

Same here and the lowest we have is 39F this year.

1 Like

Update on my single, lonely, determined Hosui pear.

I think it might be ripe???

First part of the short video is the bottom side. You’ll see as I rotated it the top side has become quite golden from the dull green of before.

Any Hosuians out there want to chime in on how long to wait to harvest?

3 Likes

You need to cover it up, I read they are supposed to turn red from green. Last year I picked a tiny one very late, maybe Oct, but it’s delicious. Mine is still gree, but it’s in the shade.

1 Like

I don’t think any Asian pear turns red…