New Member in south IL with a few fruit trees looking for spray advice

So from the many different spray schedules I have read, will these 3 sprays take care of the problems I have?

If the peach has bacteria spot issue, you need copper spray

Here is some of our backyard. I have not talked my wife into letting me plant anything back here yet!

3 Likes

Sorry for all the questions!

Is there anything that I can spray at this particular time to help the trees?

You can spray Immunox on apples to protect against scab and cedar apple rust.

Nothing you can do for peach scab or bacterial spot at this point.

Later you may see flagging shoots of peaches. That’s when you can spray Sevin for Oriental Fruit moth (OFM).

What is the main ingredient of your Sevin? I can’t enlarge the label to read it.

1 Like

Zeta-Cypermethrin

Thank you for the reply. I will pick some of that up next time I am at the store.

So just for clarification, I can mix the Sevin and the Immunox for bugs and some diseases now? Then the Captan (or some other copper spray) in the dormant season?

Besides taking care the diseases, you might want to give it a good doses of fertilizer to encourage the tree grow more leafs.

To br honest, you can save Sevin by not spraying it as you have no fruit. Your issue with OFM may not be a big deal since your trees are young.

Immunox/fungicide and be mixed with pesticide and sticker.

The post I linked below is about growing fruit in our backyards. See most recent posts # 1081-# 1083 re. spraying.

Thank you for the replies.

I was mowing this afternoon and noticed these 2 buds on the Honeycrisp Tree. Are those fruit buds? If so should I pinch them off or let them grow?

Also here is our front yard. Mix of oak and maples.

Yes. Flower buds.recommend pinch off

1 Like

By the time I was able to get around to messing with the trees, those buds were dried up and brown.

Yesterday evening I sprayed the first round of Immunox. Some of the peach leaves seemed to have grown back and look good for right now.

On a side note the deer decided they needed a snack. Got some of the leaves and small branches on the peach trees and took the top 6” or so off the small golden delicious. I know the best defense would be a fence (but I know my wife would not allow that). Last year I tried some spray from the local farm supply store that did not seem to deter them at all. I have read about Irish Spring soap and dryer sheets. Do either of these work for anyone. Eradication is not a viable option either…in-laws have 165 acres next door and the neighbors have 200+ acres on the other side. So the deer population is large.

1 Like

Repellents are just a temporary solution. You also need to reapply them (and not forget to reapply them). I don’t think that will work for you in the long term. Many of us on the forum make cages out of fencing to protect the trees when they are young. I think that is a better approach. Here is a thread that discusses cages.

Really fencing in the orchard is the best solution but I don’t have a fenced in orchard. I do have deer pressure and I managed to live with it but I have some damage each year.

Ask her if she ever wants any fruit. Without fencing of some sort to protect against deer, rabbits, voles, and other rodents I think you’ll be wasting your time.