New to Pawpaw Growing

Grafted trees seem to have about a 15-20 lifespan I believe.
Seedlings much longer but generally I don’t think pawpaws are long-lived trees like hardwoods, etc.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. If i graft some of the “Mango” cultivar on a seedling in the future, are we then starting over on the 15-20 years?

Also, are the sprouts all around the tree from the roots or are they seedlings? Or some of each? I know I had 1 seedling for sure. I don’t get baby pawpaw plants elsewhere on the property. And I haven’t successfully gotten any seeds to sprout, even stratified.

1 Like

Right, basically the lifespan of the grafted portion seems to be limited from what I’ve read. The original portion of the tree (rootstock) generally outlives the graft.
Pawpaws naturally send up suckers (sprouts) from the roots and form thickets or “patches.”
Almost certainly that’s what you’re seeing.

1 Like

Makes sense, as pawpaws produce more and bigger fruit in sunny conditions, even though in the wild they’re found in the shady forest understory.

1 Like

I can telly a bit more but not a lot. In a colder zone such as mine (5b) a man that breeds them said I can expect 8-10 years from a cultivar, possibly 12-years. Then he said in warmer climates which you are (7b) the grafted trees can expect to live 12-15, possibly 20. That’s from memory 4-5 years ago during casual conversation.

2 Likes

Actually, can you think of any fruit tree that is long lived? Some apples or pears on standard seedling roots maybe. Jujube maybe.

To be honest I have no idea! :rofl:
I’m not much of a pomologist.
Hmm American Persimmon might be one.

I presume, like with native dogwood trees, along woods edge where they do best in nature is also where you’d expect to find the healthier and longest lived specimen.

I know of several planted in the 1970’s’ in Brodhead KY on a slightly north facing slope that are doing well still. And I know of a cluster in Berea KY where the old parent tree is about dead (trunk size about that of a gallon of milk) but younger root shoots are healthy.

Agree - i would expect that wild trees in their natural habitat would be reasonably long-lived.
I have to think planting them in full sun for optimal fruit production not only shortens their lifespan but invites disease, etc.

1 Like

Speaking on how old do pawpaws get.

These are the largest pawpaws i have found in the wild. There are maybe a dozen in the same spot and all look identical. They even produce the same tiny fruit. Probably the poorest quality fruit in the whole park.
I’ve wondered if these are all rootsprouts from the same colony. If that was the case then how old can they live if they continue to resprout. I have to think there are some pawpaw colonies that are ancient.

6 Likes

Yes ,I believe some are ancient ,
centuries , if not millennial old .

5 Likes

What month do yours ripen? How is the flavor. If it is indeed self fertile it would be something unique. I believe there are only 2 varieties said to have that trait.

1 Like

Yes there are two self fertile varieties, sunflower and prima 1216.

If I recall correctly, KSU has been saying recently they believe all pawpaws May be self fertile to varying degrees.

5 Likes

I’ve observed them fruiting when I know it was at least 1,000 feet to find any others.
But, I’ve not seen any heavily loaded trees that were isolated by themselves.

2 Likes

Is that a snake on the tree?

2 Likes

wow good find

1 Like

I saw that too! Sure looks like it. Amazing!

1 Like

At first I thought it was just a large vine on the bark… nope a giant snake.

2 Likes

My justification for saying I believe some wild patches are -
Centuries or millennia old is,
I have found wild patches , that appear colonial,
Covering Hundreds of feet , with no fruit .year after year .
Stems ,trunks , close together, as if coming from a single root system. No fruit , supporting the idea it’s a single clone.
And the size of these patches, if they are a single clone ,?
Would have taken quite some time to attain this size.
So …I believe , very old.

2 Likes