No central leader? pruning correction questions

He uses Patreon for that. If you scroll below his video’s on YouTube you’ll come across his Patreon link.

1 Like

Help !

I’m having trouble with confidence in ‘training’. I have a hard time ‘seeing’ the whole Central Leader configuration, when looking at my trees. And then add the grafting choices . . . and I’m getting quite confused. I walk up to a tree - and freeze.

Here is my Goldrush. It’s on M7. I planted it in 2018.
I know that I need to remove scaffolds that are growing ‘one on top of the other’. But - I’m lost. As this crazy marked up photo proves! I would like to graft to it this week - or next . . . but want to get it into shape before I do.

Can someone please simplify this for me - if possible. ???
Hope you can make sense of all the marks.
I’m going to include an unmarked version of the same photo. If it is easier to show me where to prune using the unmarked one - that would be great.
Thanks so much. - Karen

As an M7 tree…it’s about done it’s growing. Cutting branches now reduces your production.
Maybe somebody else sees it differently.

Should I make sure that branches are not directly above each other? Leave the ones heading in different directions - and make sure that each ‘quarter’ of the tree can be utilized and gets light?
Just not cut anything at all?

1 Like

That’s a great concept.
But, the dilemma comes about when you skipped it for a couple years and now want to go back and correct it.
It’s your tree…if it were mine when two are too close I’d take out one
. Other than that, and removing broken or diseased branches…I don’t feel strongly as to which option you ought to take.

If it were going to be a full sized 20 foot tall tree, I’d be inclined to force the central leader. In this case, you could, but if it were my tree I’d accept it for what it is at this point in it’s journey.

2 Likes

I like that answer. Very much.

In this case - Ill respect it and work with it ‘as it is’ - and not try to control or change it.

If we could only learn to apply this concept to each other. :heart:

1 Like

Try Burnt Ridge I believe they may still have some trees.

Dave

1 Like