No Prune and No Thin Peaches

PYO strawberry farms are just starting to open here and we plan to see how they manage everything.

We plan to move our farmstand outside too with some type of screen.

Also looking at moving to 100% pre-sell/pre-pay model to regulate customer flow and reduce contact.his

From what I understand most local farms are over run with customers this year. If 100 folks show up at 7AM to pick fruit we are going to have a problem.

2 Likes

Do you have a pic of a tree that you considered thinned with peaches? Would like to visually see how you thin. Thanks - Spud.

Spud

Can’t find any pictures of the trees after thinning, but I know that I do not thin nearly as much as recommended.

I would guess most are about 3-4 inches apart. They grow well here and I get excellent peaches with much less thinning than what is suggested. I could probably improve my size with more thinning, but the quality of the peaches is very good and lots of folks drive 30 miles or more to get them. This saves me a huge amount of time, but I am not recommending it for anyone else. I have been told that thinning peaches is the largest labor component for commercial peach growers in NC.