No Spray Bartlett Pear

No spray, tree ripe bartlet pear. It ain’t pretty, doubt anyone would purchase any.

But I ain’t proud, I grew it, I’ll eat it. Very peary, soft, sweet, not too gritty, flowery. It’s hard to beat a tree ripe bartlet pear.

19 Likes

Good Report!

Can you give us some details on how long it took your tree to bear fruit… did u bend any branches? Any signs of Fire Blight during its life? Do u mulch? irrigate? Any tips or tricks for someone in the future that may want to grow things without spraying?

Clark has said for many years that most nurseries sell mislabeled trees…
Where is your red blush?

Clark’s excellent advice on how to get a pear tree to bear earlier…as it takes Bartlett many years to bear.

1 Like

My bartlett does not ripen for another month and I’m south of you. Are you sure that is bartlett?

1 Like

I’m not sure of much of anything today. It is WACKY WEDNESDAY after all. I’ll check tomorrow.

1 Like

Nobody has talked about Aurora in awhile… really not much at all.

Aurora Pear- An early-season American pear variety, related to Bartlett but with an improved flavor and better storage.

Not many nurseries sell it… may pick one up before it goes extinct.

I verified with the man who planted this stark bros pear tree, he said it is a bartlet.

1 Like

Robert,
Per Cummins nursery, Barlett ripens for them in Ithaca, NY around Aug 20. That’s zone 6a (I think). If your Barlett ripens later than that while you are in a warmer zone, are you sure your pear is Barlett?

1 Like

I’d buy that. That’s a beautiful pear!

3 Likes

Do you know which nursery sell it?

If this place gets it back in stock their prices are fair… and they have many many varieties if you are a Pear collector.

These places list it in stock for Spring shipping

1 Like

A local orchard in my area grows Aurora. I find the flavor to be very good.
Ripens before Bartlett. We normally buy a peck of them each year since i have no early pears in my collection. My old bartlett tree ripens September 5th-12th most years for me in SE WI.

Plant Aurora if you can find a tree!

1 Like

You guys got me thinking… No body is perfect. My neighbor could be mistaken and I know it wouldn’t be intentional. You think my Bartlet might be an Aurora? They ripen yellow and early with no blushing, produce large bartlet shaped pears.

Aurora has some russeting. Your pear does not. I don’t think your is Aurora.

1 Like

Not many pears are going to ripen 1st of august in your zone. The list of suspects should be short. Early pears start middle of august here (7a -VA). Bartlett ripens around 1st of september for me.

1 Like

Any chance its a Southern Bartlett? Those ripen in early Aug.