Northern Mid-Atlantic: SE-PA/N-VA/MD/NJ/DE Region

My Pakastan mulberry is covered in little berries this year. It is potted and kept in unheated garage over the winter. I’ll move it in with the blueberries when it warms up more.

4 Likes

Praying for the best I left my babaco and banana out before I left town. They can handle colder but I’m worried about all the new growth.

I’m working with about an inch of snow. And still coming. Did that last year, but I still turned out fine. We will see.

I’ve been neglecting things for the past few years and am trying to get back on the horse. I put two cornellian cherries in the ground this week, as well as some strawberries that I’m hoping will spread. Still TODO: plant the hardy kiwi, jujube, and goji, graft some persimmons, get a saijo to plant.

1 Like

My new kiwis and mulberries got fried despite being covered. Crap.

Hope they push out new growth. When I planted them this weather wasn’t in the forecast.

2 Likes

what were your low temps this week?

30f

Hit 27 here and I’m in a pocket climate. Lots of my flowering stone fruit got fried. Another frost advisory for tomorrow morning. Guess I’ll have to wait for that to evaluate the fruitlets. I’m thinking I won’t get much of anything this year.

Checking historical weather info suggests 28-29 degrees here this past Monday morning. I’m near the bottom of a hill which probably doesn’t help. The trees on the more elevated part of the yard also look a little better so it appears there was a temperature gradient.

I’m just south of @ampersand, in SE PA, but I seem to be in a cold sink. I went down to 21F on Sunday night. I pulled the potted apples in the house and the still-in-pots berries against the warmest part of the house. Everything looks OK except the asparagus that were coming up. The plums are alive, but very far behind. They had a few flowers open, but I’m hoping more will open and might be OK. I love my new house, but I seem to get colder than anywhere else in the area.

1 Like

I was fine with this last round and thought I had escaped damage for the year, but now that my Geraldi Mulberry is showing the fruit I can see that the cold at the end of March got them. All fruit showing has at least some dark areas so I expect they’ll drop off before ripening. The buds where just starting to break back then, so I thought they were safe… This is the second time the cold has gotten this mulberry in the 6 years I’ve grown it. Not a terrible record, but my apricot that was blooming at that time is holding nice fruitlets and I had expected the apricot to be the most likely to get zapped.

4 Likes

Looks like we’re going down into the upper to mid 30s again overnight Wednesday. I hope the forecast doesn’t start heading lower. I know I’m at the southern end of this group, so hope everyone else will be okay.

I just stuck a followup on the “oh crap” thread about the same thing … I almost put it here instead as it was a regional thing.

Most of my blooms were ok after the freeze at the end of March except for some plums and Asian pears. It was the freeze we had here last Monday 4/18 that did more damage. I’ll be lucky to get 100 pears off of 10 trees that should be able to easily yield over 500. Only the pear blossoms that were barely open seem undamaged. All the ones in petal fall look dead. Euro pears are perhaps 50% damaged. Some pawpaw flowers got frozen. The peach seems ok as do all the persimmon buds. We’re expecting 34 degrees on Thursday, and it really can’t go much lower because the persimmons will be even further along by then. I’m counting on them to provide something substantial with most of the pears gone.

Not at the freeze warning level yet, but I’ve watched the forecasted lows for Wednesday go from 39 to 37 to 36 in the last few days. Strange how these projected lows seem to always do that instead of occasionally going the other way.

2 Likes

Forecast dipping to 34 for early Thursday morning. Gross.

Yeah, this weather is weird. Forecast of 34 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday here. It just keeps changing around. Back inside the figs will go!

2 Likes

35 near NYC, hope my blossoms survive

Forecast for tonight just dropped to 31. I’m going to throw in the towel soon. There is simultaneously a red flag fire warning AND a freeze alert. I can’t ever recall freezes this late.

3 Likes

Hit with a frost this morning north of Baltimore. I think it dropped to 30.

I think it fried a good portion of the tender growth on my Black Beauty muscadine. Paulk and Lane seem to have fared much better but they’re just entering first leaf.