Nursery Prices embracing inflation?

That’s for the posh version. A sharp razor blade, some wax tape, a pot from the pile you probably have already, and you are in business. Rootstocks can be found cheap and donor wood can often be had by just asking.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with you Don. But I am a proponent of “buy the right tool the first time” so while I could absolutely graft with strips of grocery store bags, a sharp Swiss army knife, and a cut up rubber band, I know from experience this year that the cheap way isn’t always the best way to have grafts take. To each their own.

Additionally, making a cut with a tool vs a knife, you know exactly what you are getting for your angle and I found it halves the amount of time I spent putzing around on each graft, about 5 minutes per if I am not running into other issues vs 10-20 minutes. Sure developing technique with the knife would reduce that, but it’s hard to mess up with the v cut tool, so that’s why I suggest it for beginners.

3 Likes

i’m myself am becoming a bigger fan of chip budding each graft i make.

I can do them way faster then W&T now. And they usually have excellent takes.

Especially combined with parafilm and some interior cheap latex paint, i find doing chip buds almost year round is possible.

2 Likes

keep in mind that the first year, the shoots of your stoolbed might be a little small. or very little shoots. You still want to harvest them though. Since you want to grow enough latent buds on the buried parts.

2 Likes

Disagree.

1 Like

In keeping with the initial topic, what is pricing looking like on your side of the pond Oscar? Are costs significantly higher this upcoming season versus previous years for your plant sources?

2 Likes

My understanding is that the tree you buy now was grafted two years ago? If that is true then this years tree was done in 2019. I understand supply and demand but after a certain point it is just greed in my opinion. I also think we’re in for a price increase to stay.

2 Likes

since i do all my own grafting, i haven’t payed attention to tree prices the past years. So i can’t say for sure the prices increased or not.

Prices vastly differ for a larger tree, or an ornamental form. Or full sized here is usually more expensive to. Since they sometimes use stem builders (interstem) and have to let it grow longer.

Generally a 2y old central leader with some side branches on dwarf rootstock for apple or pear is between 10-20 euro. (around 15)

more “special” things like asian pears cherry’s etc closer to 20 euro. And usualy not on dwarfing stock, even though advertised as if they where :frowning:

Also one of the reasons i want to make my own. Most nursery’s here no longer mention rootstock. Only “bush” “half standard” and “standard”

Those that sell sweet cherry on gisela stock for example usually ask 25-30 euro for a tree. I’d much rather have 1 of those than 2 on seedling though.

1 Like

Wow was your post super political. I thought that wasn’t allowed? I’m not into flagging people for what they say. But I saw it as 100% without a doubt political. I have never flagged anybody and never will. This topic should be removed it’s a political topic only one side is allowed to post. How can one blame the private sector which is done numerous times and say it’s not political? I guess I should not be surprised. Free speech is dead.

3 Likes

You make a good point. And it partly explains price increases.

For several years some merchants could not raise prices because of ‘great recession’…and are jumping on an opportunity.

If you have a good crop of something, but the suppliers of your grocery store
had a bad year and prices doubled…you’d want more for your locally produced product
also…‘just because you could get it’

This topic has meandered into politics too many times, it is now closed.