OHxF 333 Pear Rootstock?

I do have several pears on x87, and even one (Comice) on 97. I’m betting my PIneapple is also on 97 as it is my tallest pear.

I also really quince as a rootstock as long as you are using known compatible varieties. I have significant FB pressure here in Texas and also tons of host plants and I haven’t noticed any difference in FB strikes at all vs. Calleryana rootstock. In fact I really think the reduction in vigor helps combat FB. All that being said have you checked Willamette Valley nursery? They used to have 333.

Drew

1 Like

Drew, is there a listing of compatible cultivars with quince? I’m going to be grafting an unknown cultivar, so that might pose a problem in this particular circumstance.

1 Like

What quince are you using?

I had an D’Anjou on Province Quince. It had a strange issue where the leaves started turning yellow at the end of August every year. It looked like iron chlorosis. I tried treating as such, but nothing worked. The leaves eventually dropped early and then the tree would grow back healthy leaves the next spring. It did this for a few seasons before the first winter below -10ºF killed it (I didn’t know they aren’t cold hardy enough for 5A). It solved the problem, but not the mystery. I’ve never had iron chlorosis issues with anything before, so I’m not sure it that was actually the issue. If it was, it must have been some compatibility issue with my soil and climate. I don’t think there is a compatibility issue with D’Anjou and Quince? :confused:

Patty I’m pretty sure the germplasm repository in Corvallis keeps a quice compatible list on there website. Do you grow Abate Fetel or Magness? Both are known to be very quince compatible and yu could use them as an interstem for your unknown variety.

Drew

Patty,
See this post for the quince compatible pears What pears are quince compatible?.

How tall is your tallest? Just wondering what to expect since I have a 97.

I do have both, Drew. Just got my Abate Fetal a few days ago, and it’s going in the ground tomorrow, in fact (it’s on OHxF 333). Magness was planted last year, and it’s on OHxF 87. So, I could use them if I needed to, thanks, didn’t even think of that. And thank you, Clark, I’ve saved the links. Very helpful. Susu, my Pineapple is probably 12’, and getting pruned back down after fruiting. My pears don’t get overly tall, overly fast out here. Nothing like my stone fruits do. Even some of my apples will send out some pretty tall branches. But, my pears are much better behaved, even my Pineapple, which is my biggest pear tree.

1 Like

Be forewarned that Magness is pollen sterile. Awesome pears, but it’ll need a pollinator.

JG

Cidery, I have about 20 different pear cultivars in this general area. Lots of pollinator options for Magness :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah mine is right next to Hosui Asian pear which seems to be a good pollinator for this thing. It has set fruit a few times for me now. Biggest problem I’ve had is the almost total lack of chill latley in Dallas. It has said few nice blooming clusters but nothing like it had a few years ago when we had more chill.

Patty,
I may go to https://skipleyfarm.com/ this week and will ask them if I do.It looks like they have OHxF 97. Brady

Thanks Brady. I think I’ve located some OHxF 333, but good to know if there is a back up, just in case.

Howdy, I live in the Willamette Valley and I don’t see anything with that name on an interweb search. Can you post a link?
Ooppss…when I added quince root-stock to the search, the top listing was: www.willamettenurseries.com/ …with this warning.
This site may be hacked.
Their description does say rootstocks, but now I’m skeered to click-it.

Probably this place…

http://www.willamettenurseries.com

I have gotten nice rootstock from them in the past.

PS I’m not getting any warning…

1 Like

There wouldn’t be a warning on their page, but it shows up on my search results. Seems that my browser has been extra protective lately. Even logging in to this site it now says that there is a security issue…eeekkk…I’ve been doing it anyway, obviously…

I have a system like that which is not warning me on their site, thats what I meant. But it does looks like Google is reporting it may be hacked. Not this forum though.

Heard Quince rootstock favored acid conditions. That may be why we don’t see it much out west.

Harvest Queen on Quince is looking perky since I started treating it with sulfiric acidified water.

1 Like

I think that is over blown. It may like acid better but I have used it in two different settings with quite alkaline conditions and it worked fine. I too have bought stocks from Willamette and they were nice.

1 Like

Sorry about reviving such an old thread, but I wonder about your experience with P. Calleryana. . .

I have understood Bradford Pears, P. Calleryana to be resistant to fireblight. Purdue’s extension service summary.

includes P.Calleryana under resistant rootstocks.
Then I see this:

and wonder if it is a new phenomenon?

2 Likes