Okra for connoisseurs of fine eating

Well, I planted okra this year for the first time. Bought this little packet of Burpee “Baby Bubba Hybrid” containing only about 15 seeds. Sprouted 11 okra plants. Plants only grew about 1.5’. Produced all the okra that I needed though.

When I grew my okra in the chicago region I just ignored it the whole summer
Actually didn’t see okra that was good for eating until I went to New Orleans pretty pods

all mine got hard, and went to seed when I looked at them,
but didn’t know any better It was over 10 years ago.

Now I want to see again and see if these seeds grow (got online so do not know what it is)
I was feasting on the spicy brown mustard greens they send for me to grow love that stuff.

how many pods does a normal harvest consist of.
or how many quarts per plant .

This is variety dependent. Most varieties produce between 30 and 50 pods per plant. A few such as Heavy Hitter and Cowhorn can produce between 200 and 300. Considered by volume, you could average it at 60 pods make a gallon when cut up. I usually get 2.5 gallons of cut up okra from a 5 gallon bucket full as cut from the garden.

I usually recommend 30 hills of okra for a steady supply for cooking. Hills should be spaced 2 to 3 feet apart. (Heavy Hitter is productive spaced 5 feet apart) Prepare the soil by tilling, then mark a row and drop 6 to 8 seed in one hill so that the seed are touching. Step on the seed to firm them into the soil, then cover with 1/2 inch of soil. The reason for planting this way is that okra is a notoriously weak germinator that can get trapped beneath a soil crust. Planting the seed in a tight group means that there are a bunch germinating at the same time which will pop the soil crust off and allow the plants to emerge. After they have grown to about 8 inches tall, thin to 2 plants in each hill.