Okra

Thanks

Okra grows so good in my Nebraska garden. It is also very ornamental. By the way it is okra flower on my avatar, Jing’s Orange variety. It was very productive, not spiny and it stayed tender for a long time. Comparing with Clemson spineless it was way better. However anybody in my family can’t stand the slimy part of the taste. I keep trying to find the ways to deal with it and I still loose.
One thing that I noticed that dried eggplant blended into small pieces counteracts the sliminess of okra if they are stewed together in gumbo. You can try it.

1 Like

I make a dish with okra and tomatoes. I slice my okra and throw it in a pan with a bit of hot oil and stir until the slime goes away. You’ll see it in the pan as you stir and the heat evaporates it. I don’t mind the slime but my family doesn’t like it and they all eat this dish. I guess it’s basically a sauté but I don’t cook it completely done before I add my other ingredients.

1 Like

I love to grow okra. This year though they got about a foot tall and a deer came in the middle of the night and ate everyone of them down to the ground.