On how much land are you growing fruit?

Im on 2 acres, split in half by an access road and there are easements. About 1/4 acre in fruit trees, wild guess maybe 50 varieties. Maybe 1/8 acre is vegetable garden. Some of the land is a woodlot and ravine. I’m also on a deer super-highway.

I have more physical limitations than I used to. I’m trying to figure out some approaches to decrease the work. Watering is too much in summer, so I consolidated some of the kitchen garden beds for less hose-hauling, and tore out some raised beds so now I can mow between them using riding mower. I have heavy mulch on around a lot of the fruit trees for less watering. Many are tall enough to remove deer cages, which will make maintenance a little easier. For most, I have enough room between deer cages that I can use riding mower in those areas too. Photos are part of my land. It doesnt snow often here. This was about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I did not include my orchards in these scenes.

15 Likes

looks like my yard but mine is even more crowded

2 Likes

my dream someday to have land to manage wildlife and a pond to stock trout in. :wink: nice spread!

1 Like

Looks like Seattle is getting the white powder this year!!

Tony

2 Likes

18 acre parcel. Have about 5 and 1/2 acres in fruit production, plus sweet corn. Doesn’t seem like much, but it keeps me busy.

11 Likes

We have 6 parcels and a total of 144 acres. 47 acres on the side of the road where the house and garage are has a 1200 sq ft kitchen garden and 300 yards away is the lower veggie garden and apple stooling bed, approx 6300 sq ft not including the stooling bed. House, garage and kitchen garden by the blue dot and veggie garden and stooling bed all the way to the left side:

Lower garden and stooling bed:

Where our orchard will be planted out is an old family property sold in the '70’s. We bought this 12 acres in the fall of 2017. It was allowed to go fallow and in the 80’s they stopped mowing so the meadow was populated by pine trees. The future orchard site is referred to as “Maggie’s”.

Progress on clearing Maggies:

And here’s a view of all 6 parcels:

19 Likes

I have 56 acres. Right now I have about 5 acres fenced off raising watermelons and black eyed peas. I have about 1/4 acre right now planted with fruit trees. I will slowly start planting more trees in the 5 acres until I get about 2 acres of it filled up with an small orchard. Until I retire I am not there full time to take care of it so I can’t plant too much right now.

5 Likes

Thanks it all started in Jan 2017 and I am not done yet.

1 Like

It will get more crowded and I am not done yet. This all started in Jan 2017 and I was lucky enough to taste some fruits in first and second year.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m actually closer to Portland, but in WA State. This only lasted a few days. They predocted “Snowpocalypse” but it was slightly too warm, so just rained for most of it. The small amount of snow is nice, enough to know it’s winter!

1 Like

you got the addiction! i started in 2014 and I’m still removing stuff that i didn’t like and planting newer varieties.

2 Likes

Is that your big barn in the top photo?

Big house was a corner grocery store when built in 1912. No front yard. The far back portion by alley is dominated by barn and approach to it. Plan to get the barn torn down and extend the fence. If that happens then it’ll be closer to 3/16 acre. Raspberry patch, two patches of saffron crocus, 6 black currant bushes, hops and brewing herbs; 9 trees in the ground - oh, and two more across two streets, courtesy of indulgent neighbors - gotta add them into the equation: by October 1/5 acre.

4 Likes

We are on 3/4 acre and over twenty five years I have planted zillions of trees and berries and mushrooms and bees and chickens. Now we have about 60-70 fruit trees or so. The problem is that we have two stories in a large house, and stairs, and now the kids are on their own. So life forces us to downsize and go horizontal, to like a ranch.
So that means the existential farewell to this orchard. Where to next? God only knows. My dear wife wants to go a more urban suburb which means a smaller lot and conceiving a new orchard albeit much much smaller. Very hard.

15 Likes

Very nice yard, Naeem. Trees look good, have nice shapes. Are all those pots on the fence all your figs?

1 Like

My one acre is mostly covered by mature walnut , maple, pecan , oak and elm trees. I have removed three maples and one elm over the years but clearly many more need to go.

3 Likes

Thats correct all those and some more are figs. Figs are easier to grow, no spray only thing to move in and out during winter. Here is the full picture of figs.

14 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot, good job. About how many varieties do you have?

I bet that’s a lot of work moving all those. You must have a big garage or basement to put all those in the winter!

1 Like

I have over 100 varieties and adding about 30 more this year.

It takes about a day to move in and out . I have one 8x10 shed and two car garage to store these.

5 Likes

Smsmith you look to be close to alexandria?