On how much land are you growing fruit?

i plant in rows and mulch with wood chips in between the treesw/ bushes to make nice strait weed free rows. much easier than mowing around each tree, holds water better and looks good! :wink:

7 Likes

Total lot size is 1/3 of an Acre including house. I have 11 fruit trees in ground and 15 in pots. 12 raised beds for vegetables. Four figs in ground and 100 plus figs in pots. I am using about 1/3 of total space for my fruits and vegetables.

33 Likes

That is a productive and beautiful yard, Naeem.

7 Likes

We own 5 acres. Once the house, pole barn, horse barn and pasture, and fenced yard for the dogs is deducted, that leaves roughly 2 acres for my plantings. Once this spring’s stuff goes in the ground I’ll have about 120 fruit trees, mostly apple, 25 chestnut trees, 25 hazelnut shrubs, a 2000 sq ft pumpkin patch, and 1500 sq ft veggie garden.

Plan is to begin selling large pumpkins(100 lbs) this year, apples in 2020, chestnuts in 2021, and hazelnuts in 2022. Will also start selling apple and chestnut seedlings from my nursery starting this year.

7 Likes

We own 87 acres (technically it’s 95, but it’s a confusing deal with the state and wetlands). I’ve got around 1.5 acres of apple and pear trees. Most are on standard or semi-standard rootstocks as I need them to get big enough to grow out of the reach of deer. Bears are also a consideration, so the larger the trees the better the chance they have of surviving a climbing bear. Somewhere around 75 trees, I haven’t counted for awhile. There are also a number of wild crab and apple trees here.

We have a couple veggie gardens, both around 20’x25’. One is for tomatoes and peppers and is covered with woven polypro landscape fabric. The other is for everything else we grow. I’ve got a couple small domestic berry patches, and loads of wild raspberries.

Zero idea what I’ll do with all the fruit once the trees hit full production

13 Likes

The house and 50 plus fruit trees is about 1.2 acre.

Tony

23 Likes

I just bought a 3/4 acre lot for fruit trees, asparagus, and berries. I am very new to all this except a couple fruit trees and a big vegetable garden around my house. I am sure glad I found this forum. I have met some very generous people that have went above and beyond to help me out on my journey! This is the lot that will have a bunch of fruit trees and black berries planted on it in the next month if it ever dries out?

11 Likes

Tony, once I thought you are a commercial grower. Now I know you are a pear enthusiast.
I just wonder how you deal with your pear fruits that your family can’t consume.

4 Likes

My new property is a total of 60 acres that I will be managing for deer and other wildlife. I will be planting various trees and bushes in the yard for our consumption as well as trees around the property for the wildlife. I’d say the yard totals about 1.5-2 acres.

17 Likes

I have 3 acres but my trees are on about 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre with somewhat poorly drained silt-loam and decent sunshine.

20 seems like a good number. I wish I had about 10 to15 multi grafted trees planted on wide mounds with some kind of permanent framing to utilize protective netting and frost blankets. I would even considered making scaffolding and some kind of simple homemade crane /pulley system to cover larger trees. I’ve had some success with using magnets to secure bird netting to a makeshift frame above my trees, then bunching the netting around the trunk. I think the same could be done with insect screen. I’d also consider running electric lines to the trees to plug in 100 watt lightbulbs during spring frost events. A small heat source near the tree combined with a frost blanket seems effective in combating frost at blossom time. This all may sound like overkill, but for 10 to 15 trees I think it would be less work than what I do now trying to maintain 50+ trees with various issues, many struggling in soggy locations.

3 Likes

I have ten in laws and they loved the sweet, juicy, and crunchy Asian pears.

3 Likes

I have about 1/4 ac. devoted to growing fruit. With dwarf interstems you can pack many plants into a small area. 33 apple/pear/plum-pluot trees, 8 blueberry, 5 hazelnut, 1 persimmon, 7 muscadine, 1 goumi.

13 Likes

About 1/4 acre for me, but the garage and a stamped concrete patio is some of that. And…have to find space for the kids swing set. Ive got 6 trees in and have the same amount on order for the spring. Lots of fruiting bushes too. About half of my space is also front yard so i keep a lot of flowers too.

8 Likes

I have 6000 sq ft yard, that includes a house, 2 sheds and 3 car parking. On that area I grow 19 trees and 16 fruit bushes, yearly supply of veggies and even some flowers. I feel lucky, looks like my yard has forth and may be even fifth dimension!

8 Likes

We are on a little more than 1/4 acre, which is pretty standard for most of suburban Utah along the Wasatch front. I would love about 5 acres, but finding that without selling all spare body parts and within commuting distance is hard.

15 Likes

What a great array of ways and places to grow fruit! Love the diversity. We have 80 acres, more woods than fields (and woods wanting to take over the fields) but about an acre fenced for growing things. Half is the original older section with large garden, many and variety of berries, and bearing fruit trees. That pretty much feeds us. The second half is 2-3 yrs new rootstocks and grafts, being filled between with shrubs and perennials. All quite “organic” in layout (some might say erratic but there is form, at least to me). Also cleared/added about an acre outside the fence last year in a protected bay along our north woods for trees/shrubs that will be left to grow full size on own roots. Plus a array of wild trees and fruits. Enjoying it all. Sue

Map-Jan2019-gf

22 Likes

I’m another one growing on roughly 1/4 acre or so. The property is 2 acres, but a lot of it is wooded or shady.

(I love the woods, but I’m forever side-eyeing the big trees at the edges of the orchard… Get outta my sun, darnit!)

5 Likes

So far my orchard and gardens take up about two acres. I’ve been prepping some more area for apples and more brambles so it will probably be closer to three acres when done. No more than that, getting to be too much to mow!

2 Likes

Im on 2 acres, split in half by an access road and there are easements. About 1/4 acre in fruit trees, wild guess maybe 50 varieties. Maybe 1/8 acre is vegetable garden. Some of the land is a woodlot and ravine. I’m also on a deer super-highway.

I have more physical limitations than I used to. I’m trying to figure out some approaches to decrease the work. Watering is too much in summer, so I consolidated some of the kitchen garden beds for less hose-hauling, and tore out some raised beds so now I can mow between them using riding mower. I have heavy mulch on around a lot of the fruit trees for less watering. Many are tall enough to remove deer cages, which will make maintenance a little easier. For most, I have enough room between deer cages that I can use riding mower in those areas too. Photos are part of my land. It doesnt snow often here. This was about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I did not include my orchards in these scenes.

15 Likes

looks like my yard but mine is even more crowded

2 Likes